Great day for Merpro as they make last 16 of North of Tay Cup

Merpro 4 Carnoustie Athletic 1

MERPRO moved into the last 16 of the North of Tay Cup after a good performance on Saturday - the furthest the side has progressed.

The home side immediately pressurised their opponents and were rewarded with an early opening goal. Craig Allan played a quick short corner kick with Cruickshank who crossed for Graham to glance a header to the back post. It was pounced upon by Sean WHITWORTH who blasted a powerful rising shot high home after three minutes.

Merpro should have gone further ahead after Whitworth head flicked on an Allan corner kick. Ally Duff somehow managed to shoot wide with a close range left-foot effort in 11 minutes.

The home side created another gilt-edged chance from a corner kick. The ball initially fell for Ally Duff but his effort was blocked, rebounding for brother Euan but he fired his rising shot over the bar from 10 yards.

Carnoustie finally managed to gain a foothold as the incessant Merpro pressure relented but despite some good play never created any significant chances.

Half-time: Merpro 1, Carnoustie Athletic 0.

The visitors had the first chance of the second half when Findlay had to make a good low diving save, parrying a fierce 20-yard free kick.

Carnoustie were encouraged and put the home side under some concerted pressure but good defence kept them at bay.

Merpro persevered and were rewarded when Graham made a good run on the right, drilling in a dangerous low cross for Euan DUFF to finish from eight yards in 58 minutes.

Carnoustie almost snatched a goal with an edge of the box shot but Findlay managed to tip the effort over the bar.

Out of the blue the visitors snatched a shot off the post on a breakaway attack in 68 minutes. A minute later they clawed a goal back when JARRETT did well, drifting wide and firing a low shot into the corner of the net.

Carnoustie then had another good spell firing over the bar and a few minutes later Nicol Duff made a good clearance to prevent a goal scoring opportunity.

Merpro went further ahead when Milne collected a short corner, firing in a cross which fell for Euan Duff to fire a ‘Dambuster’ bouncing ball shot from 15 yards, which found its way into the net.

The home side’s overall dominance was finally emphasised when Chris MILNE collected a cross ball and ran in on goal. After a series of rebound saves, playing ping-pong with the ‘keeper, he eventually finished off the opportunity to score to make it 4-1 capping a good victory.

The next round will be played in February.

Team: Findlay, A. Duff, N. Duff, Milne (Murdoch), Whitworth, G. Allan, Bruce (Greig), C. Allan, Graham, E. Duff, Cruickshank. Substitutes: Gall, Lownie and Pert.

Match Sponsor: R. Coull & Son.