Great result for the Gable Endies

20120114- Montrose vs Clyde. 'Montrose's Scott Johnston holds off Clyde's Brian McQueen.''"Andy Thompson Photography", '"Copyright Andy Thompson Photography", '"No use without payment", '"",
20120114- Montrose vs Clyde. 'Montrose's Scott Johnston holds off Clyde's Brian McQueen.''"Andy Thompson Photography", '"Copyright Andy Thompson Photography", '"No use without payment", '"",

IT HAS been a season of ups and downs for Montrose but Saturday’s result against Clyde will surely be marked as a high point.

Despite a frustrating first half in which Montrose failed to capitalise on any chances, the half time talk from manager Ray Farningham worked wonders to produce a stunning second half.

Goals from David McGowan, Jamie Winter, Scott Johnston and Stephen McNally all helped to secure the 4-0 defeat over the Cumbernauld side.

The Gable Endies started off strongly and had the first chance of the game but the McGowan effort was caught swiftly by Clyde ‘keeper David Crawford in what would prove to be a busy afternoon for the shot stopper.

Within the first 15 minutes of the game both Jonathan Crawford and Terry Masson had also had shots at goal but both were denied by the Clyde ‘keeper.

Clyde had their first corner in the 16th minute but Dale Fulton’s shot to the far post was cleared effortlessly by Montrose’s Jonathan Smart.

In the 23rd minute a Dougie Cameron corner for Montrose found the near post but was cleared away by Lee Sharp.

Just a minute later a header from Smart was saved by David Crawford.

In the 25th minute a cross from Masson was cleared by Clyde’s Brian McQueen.

Although dominating the game so far Montrose were still unable to capitalise on their chances and this fact was cemented with a miss from Cameron in the 26th minute.

Jamie Winter had the potential to break the deadlock in the 39th minute but his right footed drive from the centre penalty area was punched away by David Crawford.

Just two minutes later Winter tried again only to send the ball to the left of the post and again just before the whistle blew for half time he missed to the right of the post.

Half-time: Montrose 0, Clyde 0.

Montrose came out fighting in the second half, determined not to have the same frustrations that plagued them through the first 45 minutes of the game.

Within the first minute back on the pitch Smart had an effort with a header from the center penalty area but was unlucky to see it cleared away by Patrick Scullion.

The attack continued seconds later with McGowan driving in from the right but sending the ball past the left side of the post.

Clyde were not prepared to lie back without a fight, however, and Dale Fulton almost started the goal account for the visitors with a corner punched away by Sandy Wood in his first real challenge of the day.

The visitors were soon knocked back when McGOWAN eventually managed to get his goal after an assist from Martin Boyle on the right wing in the 51st minute.

A minute later yet another assist from Boyle set up JOHNSTON who sent the ball into the net from the penalty area.

With the scoreline at 2-0 Montrose kept up the pace and efforts from Smart and McGowan followed shortly after the first two goals only to be denied by the Clyde ‘keeper.

In what was undoubtedly a quiet game for Sandy Wood, he was called into action once again in the 65th minute but caught the shot from John Neill effortlessly.

Montrose made their first substitution of the game in the 70th minute with goalscorer McGowan going off to make way for new signing Garry Wood.

In the 71st minute Winter called Clyde ‘keeper into action once again and his shot from the left channel was tipped round the post by David Crawford.

Montrose made a further substitution in the 73rd minute when Jon Crawford made way for Stephen McNally.

In the 74th minute Montrose continued their goalscoring account following WINTER’s 25-yard piledriver into the net following a Terry Masson assist to bring the score to 3-0.

Montrose made their final substitution of the game with goalscorer Scott Johnston coming off for Steven McPhee.

With just a minute to time Garry Wood had his first effort as a home player this season but his header was blocked by Iain Gray.

The Gable Endies signed and sealed their win by making it 4-0 with a McNALLY goal following a Winter assist in the closing seconds.

Montrose: Sandy Wood, Jonathan Crawford, Douglas Cameron, Sean Crighton, Jonathan Smart, Terry Masson, David McGowan, Jamie Winter, Martin Boyle, Scott Johnston, Lloyd Young. Subs: Stephen McNally, Garry Wood, Steven McPhee, David Dimilta and Michael Andrews.

Clyde: David Crawford, Iain Gray, Lee Sharp, Pat Scullion, Brian McQueen, Paul Hay, John Neil, Dale Fulton, Stephen McDonald, Ryan Kane, Michael Oliver. Subs: Jack Sloss, Mark Archdeacon, Daniel Fitzpatrick, Kris Irvine and Barry McCue.

Referee: Kevin Graham.