Handsome win for Roselea

ROSELEA travelled to joint league leaders North End on Saturday knowing that a win was vital even at this early stage in the season.

North End started the game well with some slick passing as Glennie set up McComiskie, whose effort from 20 yards took a deflection off Reoch, but McLeod’s quick reaction makes it look an easy save.

Nine minutes into the game a long diagonal ball floated over the top of the visitors’ defence and reached Duncan out wide, who lofteds in a great ball but Glennie headed over the bar.

Minutes later, another long ball caught out the Roselea defenders and this time Duncan had an effort from 15 yards just wide of Mcleod’s left-hand post.

Against the run of play Roselea scored through Fletcher, full of running, who crossed a great ball into North End’s penalty area. The onrushing URQUHART was first to the ball and found the back of the net.

North End came close from the re-start with good link up play around the box, and McComiskie placed his shot wide of the post.

With 18 minutes gone, Ross Colquhoun was next to drive down the flank and his cross was only cut out by North End’s ‘keeper Fotheringham before Scott Riach could pounce.

A minute later, referee Marc Ritchie booked North End’s Mark Kelly for a grapple with Callum Rae.

Almost immediately the whistler had his book out again, booking Robert Urquhart and the home team’s Michael Stewart for a bit of handbags.

James COLLIER scored a cracking goal in 26 minutes. Ryan Taylor delivered and, with his back to goal, he swivelled round and powered the ball into the net.

The referee awarded North End a free kick in their own half that was quickly taken and, with the Roselea defence sleeping, North End’s McComiskie ran clean through on goal but McLeod’s leg saved and the ball drifted out for a corner. From the resultant kick a header from Barry McNaughton went straight to ‘keeper McLeod, who blocked with his arms straight out to the onrushing Duncan, who headed the ball against the bar.

A couple of minutes before the interval Ryan Duncan was the fourth player booked for North End.

But less than a minute later Ryan Taylor was tripped by Mark Kelly and, as he had already been booked, his second yellow card meant North End were down to 10 men.

Half-time: North End 0, Roselea 2.

Two minutes into the second half, North End continued with the yellow cards as Glennie was cautioned for their sixth yellow of the game.

Roselea had a reminder that the game was far from over in the 57th minute when a superb ball from substitute Evans left McComiskie in the clear. With only McLeod to beat he blasted it high over the bar.

On the hour-mark McLeod came out for a high ball and punched it out only as far as Percy, who knocked it goalwards over McLeod, and Paul Whyte on the goal line headed over his own bar for a corner.

Five minutes later James Collier broke the offside trap, rushing clean through on goal, but the home ‘keeper had the slightest of touches as the ball narrowly slipped past the post.

Moments later Urquhart went on a mazy run and had an effort from 25 yards saved by Fotheringham.

North End again came close to getting back into the match from a corner kick. David Gowans reached the ball and sent his header towards goal where Ross Colquhoun cleared it off the line.

On the 70-minute mark Ross Colqhoun was booked for tripping an opponent.

North End’s Craig Nicoll was booked with 15 minutes to go. From the resultant free kick Stewart FLETCHER scored Roselea’s third as he ran through on goal and from 12 yards smashed the ball into the right-hand corner of the net.

North End kept on pressing and were still creating chances but had no luck in front of goal.

Roselea freshened the team with Aitken, Hood and Paul Taylor on for Callum Rae, Stewart Fletcher and Scott Riach.

The visitors kept the pressure on North End’s defence in the closing stages of the game.

Jordan Reoch was the third Roselea player to be booked on the day, for tripping North End’s McComiskie who was also booked for over-reacting to the foul and became the seventh player booked for his side.

The final whistle came and this was a great result for the Lea against one of the favourites for the league on their own patch. It was an entertaining game from two teams trying to play football where the number of chances created could have led to a high scoring game.

Roselea: Mcleod, Colquhoun, R. Taylor, Rae, Reoch, White, Urquhart, Anderson, Collier, Fletcher, Riach. Substitutes: P. Taylor, Aitken, Brand, Rodger, Hood and Kerrigan.


Next up for the Roselea is a home league game against Coupar Angus on October 15 with a 2.30pm kick-off.

Roselea have been given a home tie in the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup second round draw against Blairgowrie, to be played on October 29.