Hillside on top in well-fought game

Hillside 3 MCT 0

Hillside had the better of the early play in Sunday’s Montrose and District Welfare League game, but without having a shot on target.

They might have scored after a dangerous ball was fired over but two Hiller players put each other off, both trying to get their head onto the ball.

MCT’s first shot on goal was from Ferguson but he hurried his shot from 25 yards and screwed it wide of goal.

It was a tight match but Laidlaw in goals had to look lively to deal with the Hiller full back’s 25-yard effort midway through the half.

MCT should have taken the lead after a good corner from Stridgeon was met by the head of Darren McLean, but he managed to guide the ball past the post when it looked easier to score.

‘Keeper Laidlaw made good saves from two shots to keep the game scoreless.

Grant McPherson had a chance as the half ended, but a bad bounce hampered his effort and the ‘keeper made an easy save.

Half-time: MCT 0, Hillside 0.

The second half continued as the first had ended, with both teams working hard to get the upper hand.

It was Hillside who managed to get their noses in front 10 minutes into the second half after a ball was cleared straight to Dean SELLARS on the edge of the box. He managed to get a shot away just as a tackle from Mennie came in, and the ball flew high into the net.

MCT rolled up their sleeves and tried to get an equaliser.

Chris Petrie almost got on the end of a good cross from Robb, but he couldn’t quite get enough of a head onto the ball to direct it on target.

Hillside were dangerous on the break as MCT tried to find an equaliser and they almost did when Billy Candy raced through on goal and lobbed the ‘keeper - only for the ball to crash off the bar and deny them the goal their play merited.

MCT had another good chance to get a goal after a goalmouth scramble, but Deryk McLean just couldn’t get a touch on the ball at the back post to force it home.

The home side got the killer second goal with 10 minutes to go after the ball should have been cleared.

Hillside broke clear and Chris FYVIE fired a shot under Laidlaw in goals to kill off MCT’s chances.

The homesters broke away again in the final couple of minutes to claim a third goal to rub salt into the MCT’s wounds.