Huge and vital win for Roselea

Roselea faced Perth side Kinnoull in their latest East Premier League match as they continued their fight against relegation on Saturday.

The sides had met in February with Kinnoull coming out 4-1 victors which was Roselea’s heaviest defeat of the season. It was also a scoreline which perhaps flattered the home side with Roselea missing some great chances and Kinnoull pretty much taking all theirs.

Roselea had James Collier suspended, Paul Taylor working and Calum Rae out injured. Although he was not fully fit, Calum Watson took a seat on the bench. In came Jo Reoch who pulled out in the warm up against Bathgate when still suffering from Flu, Scott Riach also returned from work and Ross McLeod came in for Josh Gray in the goals.

The Broomfield Park was looking immaculate, but the lack of rain meant that the surface was brick hard although pretty flat.

Kinnoull started the brighter of the two teams and a well worked corner kick saw Norrie find the feet of Dodd at the edge of the box but his shot lacked the accuracy of his team mates ball and managed to shoot high and wide.

Roselea came close when Cruickshank picked out a great run from Danny Ross, but his touch just let him down in difficult circumstances.

Kinnoull had a great chance to take the lead when Fertacz, looking suspiciously offside, broke free and only a great save from McLeod prevented a certain goal. McLeod then had another great stop in eight minutes when Dodd had a low shot turned round the post by the Roselea stopper.

After a fairly even and end to end opening Roselea took the lead from the penalty spot a minute later. Ross slid in and sent Reid away into the box and was tripped and although he stumbled and got back to his feet referee Milne correctly awarded a penalty. Ryan TAYLOR who scored the previous week in the same minute against Bathgate stepped up again and although his strike was not as good as the previous week it still found the back of the net to give the home side a valuable lead.

There was a loud appeal for a Kinnoull penalty when Richardson dived to clear a cross but the referee adjudged that he had played the ball with his head and not his hand in 25 minutes.

Dale Reid’s pace was causing Kinnoull all sorts of problems and in 40 minutes he managed to get the better of Ritchie before rounding ‘keeper Tough only to hit the side netting from the angle.

Darren Taylor, of Kinnoull, had a snap volley just go over the top with McLeod in control of the situation.

Half-time: Montrose Roselea 1, Kinnoull 0.

Roselea were awarded a free kick when Riach was bundled to the ground by Ritchie. Ryan Taylor took the kick from 25 yards out and although his shot was on target it was too direct to trouble Tough in the Kinnoull goal.

A great bit of football from Roselea saw Reoch overlap and cross to the far post to Cruickshank who laid the ball into the path of Reid but the ball would not come down for him to shoot but he still won a corner.

Kinnoull had a couple of half hearted appeals for a penalty of their own but the referee was unfazed on both occasions.

In 75 minutes Roselea replaced Scott Riach who had an excellent game with Calum Watson.

Watson, as usual, was soon in the thick of the action and he found himself on the by line with a narrow shooting angle having rounded the keeper but somehow Tough got the last word when he dived to parry the ball behind for a corner.

A deep Anderson cross found Watson at the far post and from a narrow angle his header was somehow saved again although Kinnoull ‘keeper Tough did not know much about it.

There were a couple of chances near the end of the 90 minutes with Watson and Reid both trying to get the game sealed but Tough was equal to the task. Roselea gave manager Brand some hairy moments as they failed to get the ball into the far wide areas to run the clock down.

Roselea: McLeod, Richardson, R Taylor, Whyte, Thomson, Ross, Anderson, Reoch, Riach, Cruickshank, Reid. Substitutes: Watson, C Taylor, Brand and Gray.

After being defeated 4-1 in Perth this was some revenge and a great result in the context of the league. Match sponsors, the Luther Boys, chose Danny Ross as man of the match.

With Violet drawing at Livingston United and Kirrie Thistle suffering their ninth defeat in a row at home to Faludhouse, results meant that Roselea rose to the safety of fifth bottom.

Kirkcaldy picked up a valuable point at home to Penicuik which means they are six points ahead of Roselea although they have played six games more.

This week Roselea travel to Oakley who took a 6-1 beating at Bathgate and there is a vital match with Kirkcaldy travelling to Dundee Violet.