It’s five in a row for Mo as run continues

MAKING IT 2-0: Terry Masson celebrates as he scores Montrose's second goal of the game in the 16th minute.
MAKING IT 2-0: Terry Masson celebrates as he scores Montrose's second goal of the game in the 16th minute.

MONTROSE FC propelled themselves into fourth place in the league with a 2-0 win over Peterhead on Saturday.

Early goals from Garry Wood and Terry Masson were enough to get the three points but the Gable Endies had plenty opportunities to score.

The win was also enough to take Mo’s unbeaten run to five in a row - much needed as Montrose face two tough away matches before their next home fixture against Rangers.

Garry Wood gave the home side an early lead just four minutes in. He latched onto the ball after a Peterhead throw-in and tapped it into the net from the right-hand side of the penalty area.

Seven minutes in, Peterhead had one of their few chances of the game when Martin Bavidge’s shot went just left of the post.

In the 13th minute David Cox tried his luck only to see the ball sail over the bar.

With Montrose pressing hard it was never going to be long before they extended their lead.

The goal came in the 16th minute courtesy of Terry Masson. With an assist from Garry Wood, Masson beat Peterhead ‘keeper Graeme Smith from 12 yards out.

Two minutes later Paul Watson came close to making it 3-0 but saw his left-footed drive clear the bar.

In the 30th minute Montrose ‘keeper Sandy Wood was called into action but he did well to hold onto Ryan Strachan’s corner effort.

Three minutes later Wood again kept hold of Montrose’s lead when he denied an attempt by Robert Winters.

As the half drew to a close Montrose looked the stronger side with the defence keeping Peterhead well at bay.

Half-time: Montrose 2, Peterhead 0

The first attempt of the second half came from Jamie Winters with a trademark thunderbolt kick only to see it go wide.

Masson could have taken a second of the game just after the 50 minute mark but also saw his effort go wide. A few moments later Masson was booked for handball.

With Peterhead bringing Rory McAllister on to replace Dean Cowle in the 54th minute it was clear they were pulling out all stops with the attack.

However, despite their efforts they failed to find the net once as the half wore on and ‘keeper Wood was mostly untroubled.

Montrose: Sandy Wood, Stephen McNally, Paul Watson, Jonathan Crawford, Alan Campbell, Jamie Winter, Lloyd Young, Terry Masson, Leighton McIntosh, Garry Wood, Ricky McIntosh. Subs - Scott Johnston, David Gray, Craig McLeish, Scott Morton and David Crawford.