Johnshaven by the only goal

Johnshaven Athletic 1,

Portlethen United 0

JOHNSHAVEN played a trialist ‘keeper as MacLean was unavailable due to an injury he picked up in the game against MS United.

In the opening minutes Portlethen played the ball through the middle. A Johnshaven defender slipped on the greasy pitch which allowed the Portlethen player in on a one-on-one with the Johnshaven ‘keeper who ran out to narrow the angle and with a fine save prevented them from taking the lead.

In the seventh minute a Portlethen corner was played into the 18-yard box where one of their players outjumped a defender and headed the ball, but the Trialist ‘keeper caught it.

In the 16th minute a long kick-out from the visiting ‘keeper was picked up by Smith. He drilled it in to Scott Beedie whose shot scuffed the studs of a Portlethen boot. The ball deflected to Ross BLEASE who put the ball past the advancing ‘keeper to give Johnshaven the lead.

In the 22nd minute a Johnshaven direct free kick by Scott from just inside the Portlethen half was played to the edge of the 18-yard box from where Tringham’s header went straight to the’ keeper.

Not long after this Scott Beedie played the ball out to R. Blease who took it down the wing then knocked it back across the goal to Beedie whose shot hit the side netting.

A shot from Portlethen deflected off a defender and the Johnshaven ‘keeper did well to push it out for a corner which Dalgarno then cleared off the line.

In the 37th minute a Portlethen corner was cleared with a double-handed punch by the Johnshaven ‘keeper.

About five minutes later a Johnshaven clearance deflected off a Portlethen player. This put them in on a one-on-one with the Johnshaven ‘keeper who blocked with his leg and Scott cleared the danger.

Just after this MacLaren blasted a Johnshaven direct free kick from 20 yards into the Portlethen defensive wall.

Half-time: Johnshaven 1, Portlethen 0.

In the 48th minute some determined play by Slavin won Johnshaven a corner which Smith played to MacLaren whose header went just over. A minute later the feet of the Johnshaven ‘keeper once more saved a shot from Portlethen.

In the 55th minute Johnshaven made their first substitution when Kevin Harrison replaced Jack Dalgarno.

On the hour-mark Smith cut in from the left and let fly with a shot which went straight to the Portlethen ‘keeper.

In Johnshaven’s next attack Scott played out to R. Blease who controlled the ball before hitting it on the turn but it went just past.

In the 67th minute Johnshaven made their second substitution when Scott Beedie came off. R. Blease went up front and Kevin Hector came on at right midfield.

Just after this a low cross was played in the Johnshaven penalty area, the resulting shot from Portlethen flew over.

In Johnshaven’s next attack Smith knocked the ball back to R. Blease who played in Tringham. He took a touch before letting fly with a shot which the Portlethen ‘keeper held.

In the 78th minute Johnshaven made their last substitution when Paul Haggart replaced an injured Graham Walger.

In the dying minutes of the game a blistering shot by Smith looked to be going in the top right hand corner until an outstretched hand of the Portlethen ‘keeper tipped it over the bar. The resulting corner by Hector was played low in the penalty area where it was partially cleared and fell to Smith who hit it first time only to see it go past.

Man of the match: Andrew Tringham.

Match sponsor: Emslie S. Collier, Funeral Directors.

Team: Trialist, Dalgarno (Harrison) Slavin, Scott, Mennie, Walger (Haggart), R. Blease, MacLaren, Scott Beedie (Hector), Tringham, Smith. Substitutes: Stuart Beedie and Stephen.