Johnshaven share spoils with league leaders

JOHNSHAVEN took on league leaders, Portlethen, last Saturday with new signing Matthew Smith in goal.

In the opening minute a Portlethen header was saved by Johnshaven ‘keeper Smith at his near post.

In the 13th minute a fine solo run by Slavin ended with his shot going straight to the Portlethen keeper. A minute later a direct free kick for Johnshaven by Dalgarno was played to the back of the six-yard box where a header from Scott Beedie went just over the bar.

In the 20th minute S. Blease played the ball through to Milne whose shot was parried and caught on the second attempt by the Portlethen keeper. About five minutes later S. Blease put in a cross that forced Portlethen to play the ball back to their ‘keeper. His clearance fell to S. Smith whose first time shot flew past the post.

On the half-hour mark Slavin played the ball up to Scott Beedie whose shot hit the underside of the bar and bounced over the line putting Johnshaven in the lead.

A couple of minutes later Portlethen played the ball through the Johnshaven defence forcing keeper Matthew Smith to come out of his goal area to make the clearance. Not long after this Portlethen had the ball in the back of the net but the referee deemed they were offside.

In the 41st minute David played the ball to his brother Scott who played the ball back up to his brother David who crossed it to S. Blease whose header was saved by the diving Portlethen ‘keeper.

Half-time: Portlethen united 0, Johnshaven Athletic 1.

Portlethen started this half by pushing an extra man into midfield, which forced Johnshaven to go on the defensive.

On the hour mark once again R. Blease was forced to make a block to prevent a certain goal from Portlethen. Five minutes later Johnshaven made their first substitution when Adam Comiskey replaced Robert Milne.

In the 72nd minute Scott Beedie pushed the ball up to S. Smith whose shot was well saved by the diving Portlethen keeper. In the 73rd minute Portlethen played the ball across the park to an unmarked player who slammed it home from close range for the equaliser. Score 1-1.

A minute later Johnshaven ‘keeper Matthew Smith was forced to come out and make a great block with his legs. The visitors went on the attack when Comiskey played the ball to D. Beedie who crossed the ball into the goal area where S. Smith did a scissors kick, which ended up past the post.

Just after this Johnshaven made their second substitution when Steven Taylor replaced David Beedie.

In the 85th minute Johnshaven made their last substitution when Bruce Carnegie replaced Shaun Blease. A minute later Portlethen played the ball through the Johnshaven defence, which left them in a one on one with Smith who brilliantly blocked their shot.

In the dying minutes the ball was played up to S. Smith ran in on goal his shot beat the diving Portlethen keeper but it went agonisingly past the post.

Man of the match was Steven Scott.

Team: Matthew Smith, Jack Dalgarno, Lawrence Slavin, Ross Blease, Steven Scott, Nayland MacLaren, David Beedie (Steven Taylor), Scott Beedie, Robert Milne (Adam Comiskey), Shaun Blease (Bruce Carnegie), Steven Smith. Substitutes - Stephen Stephen, and David Stephen.