Johnshaven too strong on their travels

Feughside 1, Johnshaven 4

JOHNSHAVEN travelled to Finzean near Banchory to play Feughside in the first of their midweek games this year.

In the fourth minute a Johnshaven corner by Bruce found L. Dundas who hit the ball on the turn but his shot was cleared of the line.

Minutes later, Johnshaven played the ball into the 18-yard box where R. Blease headed it on to L. Dundas, whose shot looked goalbound, but the outstretched leg of a Feughside defender cleared it off the line. From the resultant corner, Dalgarno played the ball into the edge of the six-yard box where it skiffed off the head of R. Blease. It came out to Bruce whose shot was to tip it over the bar by the Feughside keeper. The next flag kick, by Dalgarno, fell to Bruce who hit it on the half-volley but it was cleared.

In the seventh minute from another corner the ball could only be partially cleared and fell to Scott Beedie who pushed it wide to Leven. He played the ball into Leon Dundas who slid it home to put Johnshaven in the lead.

Ten minutes later Johnshaven’s ‘keeper, MacLean, was forced to came out of his box to clear the ball out of danger.

In the 24th minute a Johnshaven corner by Bruce was played to the near post where a Feughside player knocked it on. Scott Beedie ran in and headed home to increase Johnshaven’s lead to 2-0.

Just before the half-hour mark, Johnshaven had the ball in the net again when L. Dundas scored but the referee deemed the player who had passed the ball to him had been offside. So the goal was disallowed.

A few minutes later Feughside attacked down the right and Welsh went on a diagonal run and then blocked their shot with a tackle preventing a certain goal.

In the 34th minute a short Johnshaven corner by Bruce when to Milne who ran in on goal and let fly with a shot but the outstretched leg of a Feughside defender deflected the ball. It looked like it was going to be an own goal but the Feughside keeper made a fantastic save.

A few minutes later following a long kick-out by the Feughside ‘keeper the ball was knocked high into Johnshaven’s 18-yard box where ‘keeper MacLean plucked the ball out of the air under pressure.

Johnshaven made their first substitution at half-time when Darryl Smith replaced an injured Aaron Welsh.

On the hour-mark a Feughside corner was played to the back post where a Johnshaven player through his leg out to block, but the ball deflected off it into the net for an own goal.

In the 75th minute a long kick out by Johnshaven ‘keeper MacLean started the attack. Milne then played the ball out to Leven whose cross found Scott Beedie and his looping header dropped in under the bar to make the score 3-1.

A couple of minutes later Johnshaven made their second substitution when Darren Brown replaced Alexander Bruce.

Just after this, in the visitors’ next attack, L. Dundas intercepted a Feughside pass back. He shot, the ‘keeper pushed it on to the bar, and the ball then unfortunately for Johnshaven rebounded back to the custodian.

Not long after this Johnshaven made their final substitution when Stephen Stephen replaced Leon Dundas.

In the 87th minute a Johnshaven corner by Dalgarno was played to the back post. The referee deemed a Feughside player had used a hand to prevent the ball crossing the line so a penalty was awarded. Ross Blease stepped up, but the Feughside ‘keeper made an excellent parry. Ross Blease followed up and put the ball into the empty net to further increase Johnshaven’s lead.

Man of the match was Jason Leven.

Team: Jarred MacLean, Jack Dalgarno, Aaron Welsh (Darryl Smith), Steven Scott, Steven Smith, Ross Blease, Alexander Bruce (Darren Brown), Robert Milne, Leon Dundas (Stephen Stephen), Scott Beedie and Jason Leven.