Johnshaven unlucky not to draw

IN ONE of the only two games surviving in the whole of the Aberdeenshire league programme, Johnshaven played host to Aberdeen Lads’ Club in an encounter that gripped spectators until the final whistle.

The home side was, however, without its manager, who was unwell.

In the third minute, following a handball, Lads’ Club were awarded a penalty which the Johnshaven trialist goalkeeper saved.

A minute later Lads’ Club put the ball in the bottom corner of the net to give them the lead.

And still only six minutes into the game, in a goalmouth scramble the visitors once more had the ball in the net to double their lead.

In the 10th minute a good run by Scott Beedie ended when the Lads’ Club ‘keeper beat him to the ball.

Just after this a Johnshaven corner from MacLaren was played to the back post but no one was there to follow up.

In the 16th minute a good diagonal ball from Dalgarno found Smith who put in a good cross but the final shot from Scott Beedie was saved.

Moments later a long ball from Walger was caught by the Lads’ Club ‘keeper.

From the kick out Lads’ Club immediately went up the park but Johnshaven’s Trialist ‘keeper caught their shot.

In the 28th minute, with his back to goal, DAVID BEEDIE produced a brilliant overhead kick then turned and ran on, rounding a player before putting the ball in the back of the net for his first goal for the club.

But less than five minutes later Lads’ Club broke through the Johnshaven defence and fired home to restore their two-goal lead.

In the 39th minute a Lads’ Club corner was cleared by Dalgarno at the near post.

The visitors played it back into the box and their shot was caught by the Trialist ‘keeper.

Half-time: Johnshaven 1, Lads’ Club 3.

In the opening minutes of the second half D. Beedie played the ball through to Steven SMITH on the edge of the box, who curled it round the Lads’ Club ‘keeper to haul a goal back.

On the hour-mark, following some good play between Dalgarno and Smith, the ball was played across to the far side for SCOTT BEEDIE to get his foot to it for the equaliser.

But while Johnshaven supporters were still rejoicing, Lads’ Club played a through ball to one of their players who ran on and put it in the net to re-take the lead.

In the 66th minute Johnshaven went up the line but R. Blease’s final shot hit the side-netting.

Just after this the homesters made their first substitution when Bruce Carnegie replaced Scott Beedie.

In Johnshaven’s next attack Walger played the ball up the line to Smith whose shot was blocked. The resulting corner by Smith hit the side netting.

In the 73rd minute a long ball from Walger for Johnshaven went past the post.

A couple of minutes later Johnshaven made their second substitution when Stuart Beedie replaced Paul Haggart.

A shot from Lads’ Club has then punched clear and the resultant corner was headed away.

In the 80th minute Johnshaven made their last substitution when Stephen Stephen replaced Jason Leven.

Not long after this a low shot from R. Blease was saved by the diving Lads’ Club ‘keeper.

In the 88th minute Smith put in a shot which the Lads’ Club keeper caught, while under pressure from Carnegie.

SHortly after, a shot from Lads’ Club was put over the bar by the outstretched hand of Johnshaven’s Trialist ‘keeper.

The resulting corner was headed clear for another corner, which came to nothing.

In injury time Johnshaven tried but could not find that extra goal they needed to give them the point they deserved from this game.

Man of the Match: Graham Walger.

Match sponsor: Emslie S. Collier, Funeral Directors, Montrose.

Johnshaven: Trialist, Leven (Stephen Stephen), Dalgarno, Blease, Scott, Walger, Scott Beedie (Carnegie), MacLaren, David Beedie, Haggart (Stuart Beedie) and Steven Smith. Substitute: David Stephen.