Justice is done as three goals earn three points

20110813- Montrose vs Elgin. 'Martin Boyle celebrates after giving Montrose the lead. ''"Andy Thompson Photography", '"Copyright Andy Thompson Photography", '"No use without payment", '"www.atimages.com",
20110813- Montrose vs Elgin. 'Martin Boyle celebrates after giving Montrose the lead. ''"Andy Thompson Photography", '"Copyright Andy Thompson Photography", '"No use without payment", '"www.atimages.com",

MONTROSE Football Club put their opening day defeat at East Stirlingshire behind them when they recorded a comprehensive victory over Elgin City on Saturday at Links Park.

Elgin had recorded an opening day victory over Berwick Rangers with Craig Gunn scoring four times but they had no real answer to the Gable Endies and two-goal Martin Boyle.

Once the home side had opened the scoring they never looked back and put in another fine home league display with a number of players putting in good performances.

Elgin City, who had defeated First Division Ross County in the Ramsdens Cup, only came to life late in the second half when they pressed in search of goals, but the Montrose defence, superbly marshalled by Paul Lunan, held firm for their first three league points of the season.

The homesters made one change to their line-up with Paul Lunan coming into replace the suspended Jonathan Smart. This saw a change to the Montrose defence as Lunan moved to right-back with Crighton moved to centre half.

The Gable Endies lined up with Andrews in goal. Lunan and Cameron were in the full back positions with Crighton and Campbell in central defence. The midfield three comprised Masson, Winter and Crawford with the three-pronged attack being McGowan on the left, Boyle on the right with Johnston through the middle.

With Smart and McNally suspended and Pierce injured, Montrose were only able to name four substitutes, Dimilta, McPhee and goalkeeper Sandy Wood being joined by Under-19 striker Sean Kelly signed from Dundee North End.

The Gable Endies created the first opening of the match in the third minute when Johnston won a corner. Masson curled over the kick which found the head of Alan Campbell whose header went just wide of the far post.

Four minutes later Elgin City gave away another corner kick but this time Masson wasted the opportunity for Montrose.

Montrose opened the scoring with their first league goal of the season in the 11th minute. Jamie Winter played a pass through to MARTIN BOYLE who took his time, cut inside a defender and calmly placed the ball into the corner of the net with Zander Clark routed to the spot.

Montrose won a free kick when Crawford was fouled on the touchline, Winter swung over a free kick which Elgin City scrambled clear.

Elgin City had their first real chance in the 20th minute when a corner kick from Moore found Mark Nicholson but the centre half volleyed well wide of Andrews far post.

Four minutes later a good build up from Elgin City down the left saw Frizzell find Moore on the left and Andrews was forced to back pedal and tip the ball over the crossbar. Moore took the corner kick but Andrews rose up to comfortably gather the ball.

Three minutes later a great through ball from Jamie Duff put Craig Gunn through on goal but he was brought down by Alan Campbell. The Montrose defender was booked.

Craig Gunn let fly for Elgin City in the 31st minute from 20 yards out but Michael Andrews was on hand to save his low effort.

Two minutes later Montrose opened up the Elgin City defence once again when Martin Boyle got clear of his marker but after reaching the by-line he overhit his cross and another chance was gone.

The home side scored the second goal their play deserved in the 36th minute. This time it was Terry Masson who split open the Elgin City defence and found BOYLE. He outpaced Nicholson and took his time before he calmly curled the ball into the top corner of the net from 10 yards out.

Half-time: Montrose 2, Elgin 0.

A third goal came along in the 50th minute. Martin Boyle skipped along the goal line and from a seemingly impossible angle he managed to force Clark into a save at his near post. The ball came out to Scott Johnston who was tripped inside the box. Referee Don Robertson immediately pointed to the spot and awarded Montrose penalty kick. After a bit of deliberation between Crawford and two-goal Boyle, CRAWFORD stepped up to send Clark the wrong way from the spot for his first goal of the season.

In the 55th minute Montrose had a great chance to score a fourth. Winter and McGowan linked up before the ball found its way to Masson. His first time shot was brilliantly saved by Clark. The rebound fell to the same player and this time the goalkeeper had to tip his effort over the crossbar.

The visitors made a double substitution on the hour-mark when Jason Crooks and Archie MacPhee came on in place of Craig Frizzell and Ross O’Donoghue. Crooks immediately put over a dangerous cross which was headed behind by the outstanding Paul Lunan. In the 65th minute David Niven picked up a yellow card for Elgin City after showing dissent.

Jamie Duff became the second player to be booked when he disputed a Montrose corner kick won by Boyle.

With 15 minutes remaining a corner kick caused all sorts of problems inside the Montrose box. Firstly Campbell had to block on the line from Kaczan before Andrews pulled off a great save to push the ball wide of goal for a corner kick.

In the 78th minute Montrose made a change, taking off McGowan who had put in a great shift on the left, and replacing him with David Dimilta. In the next minute Elgin City made their final change when Duff was taken off and replaced by Steven Edwards.

With 10 minutes remaining Jonathan Crawford picked up a needless booking when he stopped Elgin City taking a throw in by sticking up his hand on the touchline.

Montrose made another change in the 86th minute when Steven McPhee came on to replace the tiring Scott Johnston.

The visitors had the last chance of the match in the final minute when Beveridge crossed from the left but ex-Clach forward Stuart Leslie could only head wide.

This was a good performance from Montrose following their match at East Stirlingshire. This time it was the right result with Paul Lunan on his full debut outstanding at right-back. There were also good showings from two-goal Martin Boyle, Michael Andrews, Alan Campbell, Jamie Winter and Scott Johnston.

Montrose: Andrews, Lunan, Cameron, Campbell, Crighton, Masson, Johnston (McPhee), Crawford, Boyle, Winter, McGowan (Dimilta) Substitutes – Kelly and Wood.