Late Allan double secures victory

MERPRO entertained Broughty United in a Premier League clash on Saturday.

The home side had to make several changes to the side as a result of injuries and various commitments.

Broughty, currently sitting in second place, started the match with a strong wind at their backs and kept Merpo pegged back in the opening stages.

Lownie and Nicol Duff had to make two good blocks to prevent shots at goal.

Broughty opened the scoring when left-back MELVILLE latched onto a ball and fired in a 25-yard shot into the top of the net evading Findlay’s clutches in 10 minutes.

Merpro slowly started to get back into the match and began to get forward with some good moves.

Euan Duff made a good run setting up Graham to run in on goal but goalkeeper Haig made a good parry save in 12 minutes.

Nicol Duff then had to make another good block to prevent an effort on goal in 14 minutes.

Graham and Greig combined well for Merpro, but the latter’s lofted effort at goal was saved by the ‘keeper in 16 minutes.

Another incisive Merpro midfield passing move set up Craig Allan to run in on goal and his dangerous low cross was almost deflected into the net in 22 minutes.

The Montrose side looked to have equalised when Whitworth knocked down a Nicol Duff free kick in the box falling for Euan Duff to fire in a 16-yard goal bound shot, but Haig made an excellent diving save to prevent the goal in 30 minutes.

Broughty responded and came close on a breakaway run with lofting a 18-yard shot over the bar in 34 minutes.

Two minutes later, the visitors came close again, but Findlay made a superb low scooping save from a 10-yard snap-shot in 36 minutes.

Merpro made the most of their ‘keeper’s save equalising two minutes later when ALLY DUFF rose majestically to powerfully head home a Craig Allan corner kick from 10 yards to make it 1-1.

The homesters went ahead with a quickfire second goal when Craig Allan sent a sublime defence-splitting pass through for Graham to run in on goal and to slip in a low cross for the supporting RHYS GREIG to tap into the net from five yards to make it 2-1 in 42 minutes.

Merpro were now on top and Nicol Duff won a strong midfield tackle to set up Alan but his left-foot shot was blocked and from the resultant cross Whitworth had his header saved by the ‘keeper.

The home side were now running rampant and following another quick passing move Whitworth had a goalbound shot deflected over the bar to bring the first half to a close.

Merpro started the second half well when a quick Greig throw in set up Graham to run in on goal, but a recovery block tackle prevented him scoring in 50 minutes.

The homesters were then reduced to 10 men whilst Euan Duff received treatment for an injury and Broughty almost grabbed an equliser when an 18-yard shot cannoned off the bar in 55 minutes.

The visitors then forced a series of corners putting Merpro under some concerted pressure which finally paid off when a crossball was unable to be cleared and from the resultant melee it was clipped into the net taking a slight deflection to make it 2-2 in 65 minutes.

Broughty had taken control of the match but Merpro fought back with Murdoch firing a 20 yard shot wide.

A few minutes later Merpro were unlucky when a thunderous Whitworth 25-yard free kick cannoned back off the bar in 70 minutes.

Merpro then created two gilt-edged opportunities when Graham cut in on goal from the left wing on his own but the ‘keeper made a low diving save from his curled effort in 72 minutes.

Shortly after this, Graham collected a loose clearance from the ‘keeper to run in on goal again, but this time he agonisingly slipped his shot wide.

Broughty made the most of their let off when they went ahead following a disputed free kick failing to be cleared in the box in 78 minutes.

Merpro picked up their game again and looked to have equalised when Allan had the ball in the net from a Whitworth pass but was given offside in 82 minutes.

The Montrose men refused to lie down and gained their reward when Murdoch was taken out on the edge of the box with a dangerous lunge tackle.

CRAIG ALLAN stepped up to superbly curl in a low free kick into the corner of the net for the equaliser to make it 3-3 in the 85th minute.

Emotions were now running high with some meaty challenges taking place all over the pitch, but it was Merpro who finally managed to force the decisive action of the match.

Whitworth chased down a defender, winning a tackle to run in on goal and strongly shrug off two challenges in the box before being brought down for a dramatic late penalty kick.

CRAIG ALLAN waited for the referee to deal with the stormy protests before calmly sending the ‘keeper the wrong way to complete Merpro’s second comeback of the match to make it 4-3 in the 90th minute.

Merpro saw out the remaining injury time to secure a spirited victory in a dramatic rollercoaster of a match.

Team: Findlay, Murdoch, N. Duff, Bruce, A. Duff, Lownie, E. Duff(Duncan), C. Allan, Graham, Whitworth and Greig. Substitute: Gall.