Late blow kills off comeback after Arbroath shock

editorial image

Merpro 2-3 Arbroath HSFPs

Merpro entertained their close neighbours Arbroath HSFPs on Premier League duty on Saturday.

The Arbroath side started with the strong wind at their backs but early exchanges were neutral.

Merpro created themselves a good opening when a Gammie long ball found Duff but as he broke clear fired his 20 yard effort high over the bar.

FPs gradually assumed control and kept Merpro pressed back and came close in 20 minutes with a Lyons curling header coming back off the post.

Merpro looked to have literally weathered the first half storm but on the stroke of half time a speculative lob into the box from right back Barber found its way over the GK and bounced into the net for the opening goal.

Merpro were looking to hit back but Arbroath shocked the home side as Richardson was allowed to run through from midfield and win a challenge with the GK with his momentum allowing the ball to fall for him kindly to slip into the net for 2-0 after 46 minutes.

Merpro were finding it difficult to gain any momentum but as the game wore on began to gain some ascendancy.

Duff curled in a cross which came back off the post in 68th minute.

A few minutes later Duff made a good wing run and fired in a great low cross but Graham just failed to connect in front of goal.

Following a corner kick the ball fell for Daryl McDougall to compose himself and calmly slam into net from 10 yards in 76 minutes. A well deserved reward for all his hard rehabilitation work over the past year following a serious injury.

The equaliser finally materialised when after some further pressure and desperate clearances the ball fell for Graham to set up John Murdoch pushed forward to control and fire into the net from 6 yards for 2-2 in the 88th minute.

The home side’s relieved celebrations were quickly doused when straight from the kick off FPs worked their way up the park and managed to escape challenges for Dear to dramatically find space in the box to score in the final minute from 10 yards to make it 3-2.