League disappointment

Montrose Youth Under-14s 1,

Dundee Galaxy 1

MONTROSE Youth Under-14s’ penultimate league match brought Dundee side Galaxy to Broomfield on Thursday evening.

A league victory for Montrose was required to take the title to the last game on the fixture card.

The local boys have remained in league contention throughout the season and potential title rivals Fairmuir came to watch proceedings from the sidelines.

Galaxy started with the infamous Broomfield wind in their backs, and they had most of the early possession but without being able to take advantage of it and create any significant chances.

Montrose were containing and hitting on the break to good effect and, from an attack, gained a corner kick.

In 15 minutes Davis swung in a low cross at the near post.

It was met by Ryan MATHER and his flicked effort from six yards ended up in the back of the net to open the scoring.

The home side started to dominate and they came close again a few minutes later when McLeod set up Davis to ran through on goal, however his 16-yard shot just sliced high wide of the post.

McLeod again did well, pressurising to win the ball and passing for Bailley to run in on goal, but the ‘keeper performed impressively to dive low to turn his fierce shot round the post.

From the resultant corner kick a Galaxy player looked to have handled but in the melee the referee was unable to see clearly and could not award a penalty.

Galaxy gradually came back into the match and home ‘keeper Glennie earned applause with an excellent save from a close range header in 27 minutes.

Montrose cleared the initial resultant corner but lost possession and a Galaxy player was allowed to advance and drill a low shot from the edge of the box under Glennie to give his side the equaliser.

The under-14s came straight back with a trademark Bailley mazy dribbling run, but he was unable to get full power on his 12-yard shot and the visiting ‘keeper saved.

McLeod then made a good wing run but there were no takers for his speculative cross across the box.

Montrose continued to search for another goal and Harrison floated in a free kick but Bailley’s back head-flick just went past the post.

Galaxy had the last chance of the first half with a cross which was flicked wide of goal.

Half-time: Montrose 1, Dundee Galaxy 1.

The local side started the second half quickly and Mather had two long range free kicks, both of which went just over the bar.

McLeod did well in the 42nd minute, shrugging off a defender to shoot at goal but he couldn’t get enough power on his effort and the ‘keeper managed to save.

The match became end-to-end, with Galaxy breaking and an attacker fired into the side netting in 44 minutes.

Montrose then began to dominate proceedings and had a sea of chances, starting with Craig firing wide.

Bailley twisted inside his marker and hit a powerful shot from 16 yards, but a last-gasp block deflected away what looked a goalbound shot.

The home side came even closer a minute later, when Mather had a curling shot headed off the line to safety.

Galaxy refused to lie down and came close a few minutes afterwards with a curling 25-yard free kick just going over the bar.

Glennie then made a good save from a close range shot following a cross coming into the box.

Smith then made a storming run from midfield and fired in a dangerous 20-yard shot but the visiting ‘keeper did very well to dive low and save it.

Montrose continued to push forward and looked to have made the breakthrough their play deserved.

Craig skilfully directed a 20-yard shot with the outside of his foot low into the net but his side’s jubilant joy was cut short when the referee controversially disallowed the goal due, apparently, to a Montrose player in an offside interfering position.

To their credit Montrose, although aggrieved, continued to press and created more scoring chances.

McLeod was brought down on the edge of the box and Bailley’s subsequent low curled free kick went agonisingly just wide of the post.

Coull then had a good chance when a Mather cross fell for him in the box but his snatched effort went wide.

Galaxy began to sense a chance for them to steal the match and broke forward with a curling shot going just wide.

And in the closing minutes the visitors broke forward again with Montrose pushed forward, but excellent covering defending by Bailley kept them at bay.

Montrose Youth Under-14s were left frustrated as time ran out and their hopes of forcing a last-day title shoot out were officially but to bed for this season.

The watching Fairmuir delegation was able to celebrate their championship victory on the sidelines.

Team: Cameron Glennie, Ryan Mather, Jamie Riach, Yan Coineaux-Rice, Dean Quinn, Jordan Harrison, Matt Davis, Morgan Smith, Kyle McLeod, David Craig, Liam Bailley, Shaun Low, Scott Coull and Dylan Pert.