Match reports from Merpro

Merpro exited the Gray Trophy after a rare defeat in a surreal match. Merpro were completely dominant, especially in a superb first half performance of rampant attacking football.

But a combination of missed chances and a defensive lapse kept the Arbroath side in contention at half-time.

Merpro went quickly ahead following a patient corner kick routine resulting in a Cabrelli cross slotted home by Euan DUFF from 10 yards.

Portcullis promptly regained level terms a couple of minutes later when a corner kick failed to be cleared, allowing Peters to calmly score from 10 yards.

The rest of the first half was basically Merpro pushing forward playing some excellent football but somehow contriving not to score.

The second half continued in much the same manner until Portcullis managed to rob Merpro of possession on the half way line and hit on the break.

Triggs on his own up front managed to evade a tackle to run in on goal with ‘keeper Lownie managing to parry his effort. Whyte managed to get back to cover but as he attempted to clear slipped and the ball trundled into the net for a bizarre goal.

Merpro continued to push but Portcullis were able to sense a cup upset and packed their defence.

Merpro were unable to find the guile to break through the solid rearguard despite enjoying Barcelona type possession statistics of complete dominance and ultimately unable to find the net.

Merpro: Lownie, Ferries, Whyte, C. Allan, Pert, G. Allan, Bruce, Cabrelli (Houghton), Graham (Rausch), Greig, E. Duff. Subs: Eadie, J. Robertson, Wink.

Match sponsor: Sharkys Bar.

Merpro 3

Newport 0

Merpro took a big step towards promotion with a fine win over the tall giants from Newport. Both sides are in contention for and had met a fortnight earlier in Fife with Newport recording a 3-2 victory on that occasion.

Merpro were the better side throughout this match and a solid relentless performance eventually overwhelmed their opponents.

Merpro had a few gilt edged chances to go ahead including a miss of the season contender from ‘Boulder’ Graham but eventually two second half goals from Scott GRAHAM and another from Craig ALLAN sealed another important win.

Team: Lownie, G. Allan, Whyte, C. Allan, N. Duff, Pert (Wink), Ferries (Petrie), Bruce, Graham (J. Robertson), Greig (Cabrelli), E. Duff (Eadie).

Match sponsor: Willie John Bruce.

Morgan FPs 0


Merpro returned from Dundee with another set of full points.

After a scrappy opening, 30 minutes in, the Montrose side eventually worked out their opponents tactics to find some cohesion and then go on and dominate the match.

Merpro scored two quick fire goals prior to the half time interval. Whyte made a great forward run to cross inside for Campbell BRUCE to meet to skilfully strike first time into the net from 10 yards in 40 minutes.

A couple of minutes later, Craig ALLAN was set up by Graham to make a breaking run from midfield to run in on goal to slide a low shot past the ‘keeper.

Merpro completely dominated the second half resulting in further goals from Scott GRAHAM, Craig ALLAN and a headed goal, following a perfect Robertson corner kick, for Graeme ALLAN to make it an emphatic 5-0 scoreline.

Team: Lownie, G. Allan, Whyte, C. Allan, N. Duff, Pert, Ferries (Rausch), Houghton (J. Robertson), Graham (Petrie), Bruce (Houston), E. Duff.