MCT firing on all cylinders

Montrose Caledonian Thistle 14 Marykirk 3

A LATE pitch inspection at Broomfield allowed Sunday’s match between MCT and Marykirk to go ahead, but by the time the final whistle blew the game but beaten visitors might have regretted that decision.

MCT started the brighter side and took an early lead when a corner was headed back across the goal mouth by Petrie.

A flick from Macpherson was tucked away from close range by Aaron WELSH.

Two minutes later the MCT lead was doubled when a great through ball from Welsh was latched onto by Grant MACPHERSON who finished well from 15 yards.

Still within the first 10 minutes of the game MCT were denied a third when Macpherson was judged to be in an offside position after a neat finish.

After 12 minutes Marykirk pulled a goal back with a fine passing move and a composed finish.

But MCT restored their two-goal advantage straight from the restart with a fine strike by WELSH from 12 yards.

MCT were enjoying the lion’s share of possession and even missed several chances with Macpherson hitting the post and Billy Candy passing up on an open goal.

On the half-hour mark MCT made it 4-1 with Jordan GREIG scoring his first after a good bit of control from Petrie.

Less than five minutes later GREIG doubled his tally for the day after another cracking through ball from Welsh.

GREIG completed his quickfire hat-trick just before half-time, finishing well after a bursting run into the area.

Half-time: MCT 6, Marykirk 1.

Just two minutes into the second half MCT were in seventh heaven when a great through ball from Candy found Macpherson in space. He crossed for GREIG to score his fourth.

Marykirk were having a torrid time at the back and after Candy passed up on another opportunity to score, WELSH was on hand to complete his hat-trick.

A good bit of play from Candy found PETRIE in space and the two Royal Mail boys delivered the ninth for MCT.

MACPHERSON then scored twice in quick succession to complete his hat-trick, the third of the day.

But he then seemed to take pity on the visitors by firing wide from a yard out.

Another Candy miss, this time a real trundler, was pounced upon by GREIG to take his tally to five for the day.

Things went from bad to worse for the visitors after Macpherson was upended in the box.

This resulted in a penalty kick which was fired home by Sean TOWNS who then received a booking for what the referee deemed an inappropriate celebration.

Seconds after scoring from the spot TOWNS had the ball in the net again, but unfortunately this time it was his own.

On the 90-minute mark WELSH completed the MCT scoring with a fine lead and powerful header past a deflated Marykirk ‘keeper.

But after conceding 14 goals it was Marykirk who rounded off the scoring after a goalmouth scramble.

The ball broke to the edge of the box and a low fired shot flew through a sea of legs and past the home ‘keeper.

Montrose Caledonian Thistle: Laidlaw, Towns, Darren McLean, Deryk McLean, Thomson (Robb), Welsh, Wales, Petrie, Candy, MacPherson and Greig. Substitute: McIntosh.