MCT’s league hopes all but ended

Hudsons 5 MCT 1

Mct TRAVELLED to Brechin to take on defending champions Hudsons in a league match, and the home side took the lead in nine minutes when a poor goal kick from Jamieson went straight to an attacker who took advantage to run through and score.

MCT went close a few minutes later from a free kick from McLean whose effort from 25 yards flew over the bar.

Hudsons went two up in 25 minutes after a quick break. With the defenders drawn to the ball an unmarked attacker had an easy header into the net at the back post.

MCT were pressing forward to get a goal back and had another chance after a good cross from Stridgeon was narrowly put wide by Candy.

This was as good as it got for MCT and, thanks to some shocking defending, Hudsons scored three quick goals in the in the last 10 minutes of the half.

After a good save from Jamieson the ball was fired into the net on the rebound.

The fourth was after a poor MCT corner was cleared and the defence parted like the Red Sea to allow the forward to run unchallenged from half way to give Jamieson in goal no chance.

The fifth goal was a carbon copy with the MCT defence posted AWOL again.

Half-time: Hudsons 5, MCT 0.

MCT were playing for pride and made a great start to the second half with a goal in the opening minute. Mennie and Candy exchanged passes, with CANDY racing clear and smashing the ball home from the edge of the box.

MCT were given another boost when home ‘keeper Calder was sent off for two yellows in a matter of seconds for remarks to the referee.

The 10-man defending champs dug deep as MCT tails were up. Both sides had chances in the second half with Jamieson’s hands being stung a few times but neither side could add to their tally.

Billy Candy had a great chance when he went clear but lobbed the ball over.

He had another chance when again he ran through on goal but the stand-in ‘keeper raced out to nip the ball away. Late on Stridgeon rattled the bar from 10 yards but try as they might MCT could not find another goal and had to deal with dangerous counter-attacks by Hudsons.

The result means Hudsons have leapfrogged MCT back to the top of the league and ended the visitors’ title challenge as their rivals all have games in hand on them.