Merpro hammer local rivals Arbroath HSFPs in League Cup

Merpro’s fine start to the season continued with an emphatic 6-0 midweek victory over their close rivals Arbroath HSFPs in the Premier League Cup.

On a freshly cut pitch the home side were able to move the ball around at pace and gradually overwhelmed their opponents with some clinical finishing.

Merpro started well and only some alert goalkeeping kept them at bay.

A goal looked certain when a Milne long ball set up Duff to run in on goal but held up amongst his feet and brave goalkeeping saved Graham’s follow-up effort in 20 minutes.

FPs had an opportunity when a perfect McWalter pass allowed Buick to run in on goal but excellent defending from Harrison kept him at bay in 27 minutes.

Merpro then created a great opening when Allan chipped forward for Duff but Flemming saved his low shot in 28 minutes. A couple minutes later Duff again created himself a great chance holding off some strong challenges to burst into the box but once more the keeper thwarted him with an agile save.

The home sides pressure eventually paid dividends when following a Ferries corner kick Jordan Harrison rose highest to head into the net at the back post in 32 minutes for the opening goal. This was the youngster’s first goal for Merpro.

Merpro continued to press but were unable to increase their first half lead.

The second half brought no let up and Merpro should have gone further ahead in 48 minutes when Duff and Graham combined well to create an opening for Bruce. However he failed to connect properly in front of goal with Greig’s two follow-up clues range efforts desperately blocked.

Bruce then had another opening when put through but the Flemming saved well at his feet in 52 minutes.

Merpro had a scare a few minutes later when a rasping McWalter drive was pushed onto then post by Lownie to safety.

Merpro heeded the warning and finally went further ahead when Bruce pounced on a loose clearance to run into the box to pass inside for Euan Duff to score from 10 yards with a low shot after 60 minutes for 2-0.

Two minutes later Campbell Bruce extended the lead latching onto a pass to run in on goal and fire past the keeper for 3-0.

The floodgates had been opened and the Montrose side went further ahead after good play from Graham on the right flank to cross into the box for Craig Allan to calmly control and score from 8 yards for 4-0 in 65 minutes.

Merpro were now rampant and Cabrelli set up both Graham and Bruce in quick succession but neither were able to complete the openings.

The home side were not to be denied and went further ahead when Craig Christie broke forward to round the GK to make it 5-0 in 80 minutes.

Merpro completed the scoring following a great run from Allan to curl in a cross for Crsig Christie to complete his double with a powerful close range header for 6-0 in 87 minutes.

It was an irresistible passing performance from Merpro to record their highest ever win over the FPs.