Merpro head for cup semi-final after seeing off Broughty United

Merpro 3-1 Broughty United

Fairfield Premier League Cup

Wednesday, August 26

Broughty started well and put the home side under early pressure with Lownie making a fine reactive low save from a goal bound header in five minutes.

Merpro created a good opening when Duff broke through with the keeper making a low save.

Bruce latched onto the rebound to lay off a pass for Greig but he fired wide.

Merpro survived another scare when some indecisive defending exposed them but covering defending smothered the opening in 10 minutes.

The end to end play continued and Merpro should have went ahead when Harrison headed over from close range from a free kick into the box.

Broughty made the most a minute later going ahead with a close range snap shot following a corner kick in the 16th minute for 1-0.

Merpro rallied and following an fine move Milne set up Graham to run through on goal rounding the goalie but from an acute angle he fired into the side netting in 25 minutes.

Merpro clawed themselves back into the game resulting from a Milne and Whyte free kick routine going woefully awry, but in the resultant confusion Jordan Harrison ran in behind the defence to head over the onnrushing keeper to score his second goal for Merpro in the 36th minute.

Merpro were beginning to gain control and their cause was aided when defender Dunbar received his marching orders after an over zealous challenge on Bruce in 42nd minute.

Merpro went ahead when Bruce ran through in on goal but as he dallied the ball fell for the supporting Ferries who was promptly upended for a penalty kick.

Euan Duff stepped up to score with a well hit effort to make it 2-1 after 56 minutes.

Merpro survived a scare when a long free kick into the box was missed by everyone and came back off the post in 62 minutes.

The match was becoming more tense as Broughty sensed a chance of a comeback but Merpro finally sealed the victory with a late goal.

Euan Duff made a fine wing run to cross into the box for Stewart Turriff to calmly score from eight yards to make it 3-1.

Merpro managed to grind out an important win despite not being at their best and can look forward to an early season semi final.

Merpro 1-1 Menzieshill Rovers

Premier League

Saturday, August 29

Merpro kicked off their Premier League campaign with a visit from newly promoted Menziehill Rovers on Saturday.

Merpro started well playing some fine football in the opening 30 minutes and dominated the match.

First opening arrived when Euan Duff set up Allan to send in a dangerous cut back cross but a great defensive clearance prevented the opening goal in 15 minutes.

Another fine move resulted in Allan laying off for Greig who curled his 16 yard shot just wide in 25 minutes.

Meepro were given a lesson in finishing when out of the blue Rovers went ahead with a well taken goal by Stephen Kerr who got in front of his marker to clinically finish a cross into the box after 30 minutes.

Rovers then had a good spell of play with Lownie saving well from Kerr and shortly after the same player shot wide on a break away attack.

Neither side were able to create any further chances and the visitors went into a half time lead.

Merpro were looking to regain their first half rhythm but Rovers were now feeling more confident and making life more difficult managing to break up play.

Merpro were gradually clawing their way back into the match and had a great chance to score from a Bruce free kick but Allan close range header went over the bar in 72 minutes.

However Merpro finally managed to make the breakthrough when following some ping pong clearances and shots at goal in the box Craig Allan composed himself to score from 10 yards to make it 1-1 in the 80th minute.

Both sides pushed for a winner but had to settle.

Lownie, Harrison, Ferries, Milne(Christie), Keogh(Turriff), N Duff, Bruce, Allan, Graham (Cruickshank), Greig, E Duff.