Merpro maintain unbeaten record

Merpro maintain their 100 per cent unbeaten record
Merpro maintain their 100 per cent unbeaten record

MERPRO ..................................2

MONIFIETH TAYSIDE ..............1

Merpro continued their unbeaten league run and have stretched their lead at the top of Division One to six points, after another victory last weekend.

Although again playing some fine flowing football and largely dominating the game, the result was in doubt until late in the match due to a succession of missed chances.

Merpro started quickly with a flowing move, allowing McDougall to cut inside but the GK saved his effort in the first minute. Then an Allan free kick went over the top of the defence, but Murdoch managed to keep the ball in play.

Scott GRAHAM collected the cut back and stepped inside a defender to curl a low left foot shot into the net from 14 yards.

The Montrose side continued to press and Whyte found himself denied after being sandwiched inside the six yard box, following a McDougall cross.

Graham made a dangerous run into the box but his cut back found no takers after 18 minutes. Euan Duff then collected a pass in midfield and drove at the defence, but fired his 20 yard effort wide in 20 minutes.

Merpro were completely dominating and Greig set up Whyte with a series of passes, but the latterly well hit 22 yard drive found the side netting.

Bruce burst forward from midfield, but his well hit shot sailed over the bar in 28 minutes.

The Allan’s then combined with Graeme, flicking his brothers corner kick just wide at the near post in 32 minutes.

Graham then set up Craig Allan to run in on goal unopposed with a sublime back heeled flick pass but instead of taking it up to the GK his shot went wide from 20 yards.

The last chance of the half was created when Graeme Allan headed a corner kick back into the six yard box but no one was there to pick up the opportunity.

Half time: Merpro 1, Monifieth Tayside 0.

Tayside immediately came out improved and gained a free kick. Peters well hit 30 yard low drive was excellently saved by GK Lownie with Graeme Allan on hand to clear to safety.

Craig Allan made a good flank run, cutting back for Graham but he fired over the bar in 48 minutes. Graham then had a run in on goal, but his touch was heavy and the GK reacted quickly to smother his effort.

Monifieth’s Petrie came close when he collected a cut back and drilled a rising shot off the crossbar in 52 minutes.

After a combination move, Allan lofted a pinpoint pass over the defence for Graham to collect and run in on goal but he pulled his angled effort wide.

The match was more of a contest now and Tayside again came close with a header flashing wide in 56 minutes. Merpro hit back when Graham did well to set up a pass for McDougall but he also fired his 18 yard effort over the bar. Duff then did well on a flank run to cross into the box but Craig Allan pulled his close range snap shot wide.

Whyte and McDougall set up Allan, but he again pulled his shot frustratingly wide.

McDougall had a well hit free kick parried by GK Cosgrove, with Duff hitting the rebound wid.

McDougall was fouled by the GK on the edge of the box, and his resultant free kick found Graham, who headed back for Bruce but his close range header went over the bar.

Merpro were punished for not killing the match off when Monifieth equalised after a long cross from the left wing fell for Christie to stab a low shot into the net from 10 yards.

Merpro quickly resumed their attacking, with Bruce making an excellent fast break to set up Graham to run in on goal but he blasted his close range effort over the bar in 70 minutes.

A fine move involving Duff, Graham and Bruce set up Greig in front of goal but he fired the ball over the bar.

The home side procession continued with McDougall next to set up a header for Allan but the frustration remained as he headed wide in 78 minutes.

The deserved Merpro breakthrough arrived to ease the tension, McDougall played a short corner kick for Whyte to send in a perfect cross for Campbell Bruce to rise to bullet a header from 12 yards into the top of the net in the 83rd minute.

The home side comfortably saw out the rest of the match to maintain their 100 per cent league record. They ran out deserved winners and again produced some fine flowing football, but were given a testing match as their profligacy in front of goals kept their opponents in the game.

Team: Lownie, Murdoch(Houston), Whyte, C.Allan, N.Duff, G.Allan, McDougall(J.Robertson),Bruce, Graham, Greig,E.Duff. Subs: Cabrelli,Collie,Wink. Match Sponsor: Colin Duncan