Merpro move into fifth round of Cup

Merpro moved into the Scottish Cup fifth round after defeating Uphall Station from Broxburn on Saturday. Uphall play in the Lothian and Edinburgh 
Amateur Association.

An early morning pitch inspection was required but by match time the overnight frost had disappeared.

Uphall started the match at a determined quick pace and took control.

Merpro were finding it difficult to string passes together and it was no surprise when the visitors went ahead with an eight-yard header from a corner kick after 
only 10 minutes.

Merpro created a good opening in 14 minutes when Christie did well to win possession and cross to Duff in front of goal, but he volleyed wide.

A few minutes later Merpro had a penalty claim ignored when Craig Allan appeared to be pushed in the back as he went to 
meet a cross.

Merpro began to up pace and gradually took control of the midfield, establishing a degree of dominance. Craig Allan slipped a super pass into the box for the breaking Greig, who collected but the alert ‘keeper managed to come out to thwart the attack.

Allan and Christie combined to set up a chance for Rausch in the box but he fired his close range left foot effort wide.

Craig Allan made a twisting run past two players into the box, composed himself, and fired in a fierce shot but a brave headed clearance prevented the goal.

Uphall were restricted to hitting on the break and managed to hold on to their early lead for the remainder of the half.

Half-time: Uphall 1, Merpro 0

Merpro came out even more determined in the second period and almost made the breakthrough immediately. Rausch collected a defence-splitting pass to run in on goal and fire in a well-hit rising shot only for Brown to fingertip it on to 
the cross bar.

Merpro were in full flow and Greig set up Rausch to run in on goal unopposed but as he shot the ball bobbled and he sliced his 
15-yarder wide.

Merpro thought they had opened their account after fine play from Euan Duff allowed Greig to set up Christie. He fired into the net but controversially 
was given offside.

Merpro’s incessant attacks continued and the deserved breakthrough goal arrived after some fine linking play. The increasingly influential Greig held off a tackle to slip a deft pass into the path of the galloping Rausch. He fired a low cross into the box and Lee Paton ran off his marker to expertly slip a low hooked shot from 12 yards into the corner for the equaliser.

The visitors hit back and Lownie, who had been relatively untroubled in the second half, made a good save following a twisting run in the box from centre forward Scott. A few minutes later Nicol Duff had to make a determined blocking tackle to prevent another close range effort at goal.

Rausch had another breaking run into the box but his close range effort was well blocked to safety.

Following some good play Whyte collected and curled a perfect cross into the heart of the box for Scott Riach to rise like a twisting ferret and outjump his marker to head home to give Merpro the lead for the first time.

Merpro soon went further ahead when Whyte again sent an inviting cross ball into the middle of the box for Rhys GREIG to cap a fine performance by deftly prodding a 10-yard shot into the net with eight 
minutes to play.

Merpro had a fully deserved fightback victory to take them into the Saturday Scottish Amateur Cup fifth round for the first time.

Team: Lownie, Murdoch (Whyte), Ferries, Greig, N. Duff, G. Allan, Rausch (Turriff), C. Allan, Christie (Graham), Bruce (S. Riach), E. Duff (Paton).

Match Sponsor: Colin Duncan.