Merpro’s winner as ref is about to blow for full time

MERPRO resumed Premier League action on Saturday, returning from Dundee with a stunning last-gasp victory after retrieving a three-goal deficit to claim full points.

Broughty started brightly with the wind at their backs and opened the scoring in four minutes after a Merpro loose back pass was pounced upon by STEVENSON.

The home side went further ahead when a midfielder burst through, collecting a clearance and slipping in a low cross for GOLLAN to fire in a low shot.

Broughty increased their lead again with another Merpro gifted goal when a difficult lofted back pass was chested down by Findlay. His clearance was hurried and fell for STEVENSON to fire in a low drive.

Merpro’s Bruce and Craig Allan combined to set up Duncan to run in on goal but Calder saved well.

Merpro reached the interval without further self inflicted wounds to regroup.

Half-time: Broughty United 3, Merpro 0.

Merpro quickly hit back when Ally Duff made a storming run into the box. His shot was partially saved, but defender Kenny cleared with an arm, resulting in a penalty and a red card. Craig ALLAN steered a low shot into the net.

This was the impetus Merpro needed and GREIG slipped a low shot into the net from 12 yards.

Broughty were pinned back as Merpro bombarded their goal, so it was a shock in 70 minutes when Broughty made a rare quick break and STEVENSON fired a low shot into the net.

Merpro renewed the momentum and the Broughty ‘keeper was kept busy.

Merpro determination was rewarded in 86 minutes when WHITWORTH stooped low to head into the net from eight yards following a Graham corner.

The Montrose side couldn’t be contained and equalised a couple of minutes later when Sean Whitworth smashed in a close range shot following another goalmouth melee.

With the win now in Merpro’s sights Euan Duff broke through the defence but Calder again saved his side in the 90th minute.

In the final minute of injury time Graham picked out Euan Duff in the box. He calmly composed himself to drill a low 12-yard shot into the net to make it 5-4 in 93 minutes, setting off exuberant scenes of joy.

Merpro’s second half efforts created wave after wave of composed probing attacking play and the players deserve great credit for such a determined disciplined performance, coming back from three goals down at the interval.

Team: Findlay, A. Duff, N. Duff, Milne, Whitworth, G. Allan, Bruce (Pert), C. Allan, E. Duff, Duncan (Graham), Greig. Substitutes: Gall, Houston and Murdoch.