Merpro still have sights on step up

After a few weeks lay off Merpro returned to Midlands Division One league action on Saturday with a visit from Dundee City.

City had previously ended Merpro’s early season lengthy unbeaten league run with a 1-0 win. And the home side was unable to prevent their visitors completing a double as they returned home with another victory in a controversial match.

The Montrose men can look back with some injustice in this match as the game was marred by decision making which would have left even the current Chelsea manager lost for words...

However Merpro also had a series of missed chances which could have sealed the victory and eventually allowed their niggly opponents to go home with the full set of points.

City opened the brightest and following a corner kick stramash ‘keeper Eadie had to make a good diving save to clutch the ball on the line in the 10th minute.

Merpro began to settle and went ahead following a fine move with Bruce making a storming break down the left flank to slip a perfect pass inside for the supporting Euan Duff to fire in slow drive from 12 yards to make it 1-0 after 12 minutes.

The homesters continued to dominate creating another excellent opening when Duff challenged the ‘keeper with the ball falling for him to side step the recovering custodian but he fired his effort high over the bar from 15 yards in 25 minutes.

Merpro were to rue these chances when City hit them on the break on the right flank with a low cross hit into the net by McIntosh from eight yards in 28 minutes.

City shocked Merpro further with another quick goal from a similar move when an innocuous shot heading for Eadie took a swerving deflection of Allan and curled into the corner of the net giving the ‘keeper no chance in the 30th minute.

Merpro then created yet another opening following a good passing move as a Bruce pass set up Duff to again round the ‘keeper but dallied and his shot was blocked to deny a goal in the 43rd minute to end a frustrating first half.

Merpro were frustrated in the first period but the second was to prove even more farcical at times. They opened well in 47 minutes with a superb move on the left flank resulting in Allan setting up the overlapping Whyte to roll the ball into the net from 16 yards only to be given amazingly offside from a decision made on the halfway line to set the tone for the rest of the match.

Graham then broke the offside trap to be blatantly pulled back as he was set to run in on goal by the full back but only a free kick awarded in 50 minutes.

The Montrose outfit, who had pressed their opponents back, were then hit on a quick fire break away after an attack broke down and after some fine inter-linking passing City went further ahead with a clinical goal to make it 3-1 in 60 minutes.

The home side created a final opportunity when Bruce set up Rausch to evade a couple of strong tackles to run in on goal but the ‘keeper again made a fine save.

Merpro turned in a decent enough performance and were faced with many challenges in this match but despite their sense of injustice ultimately their recent profligacy in front of goal failed to finish the match off. Despite the defeat Merpro remain in contention for promotion with two away matches left to play.

Team: Eadie, Ferries, Whyte, G. Allan, N. Duff, Pert (Cabrelli ), Bruce, C. Allan, Graham (Petrie), Houghton (Rausch), E. Duff. Substitutes: Lownie and Murdoch.

Match sponsor: Colin Duncan.