Mo’ not at their best at Broadwood

Clyde V Montrose 7/11/15 Fraser scores for Montrose
Clyde V Montrose 7/11/15 Fraser scores for Montrose

Barry Ferguson’s Clyde side powered to the victory that had been evading them, with a commanding win over a disappointing Montrose side.

The visitors started brightly and, in the opening period, appeared to be having no side effects from their horrendous midweek cup defeat to Edinburgh Thistle Hutchison Vale. It did not take long, however, for the cracks to appear.

The new-look centre back partnership, including loan signing Jahmal Howlett Mundle from Hearts, could not settle and the home side began to dominate the proceedings.

Clyde saw their first real chance come on the 15-minute mark, with Scott McGlaughlin whipping a vicious ball into the box.

The ball fell to young Scott Ferguson who, with time to settle himself, will feel he should have done better with the left-footed volley.

Montrose had survived but it was not to last long. Chances for David Gormley and the increasingly impressive Ferguson were early warnings for the visitors from the north.

Against the run of play, Montrose had the greatest chance of the match so far, with a header back in to the danger zone finding Gary Fraser completely on his own.

After a fine first touch, he slipped the ball past the advancing Gibson in the Clyde net. Tumbling towards the line, Michael Bolochoweckyj slid, scrambling the ball away to safety.

And from here, Clyde built and got the first goal of the afternoon.

A long throw from Scott Linton on the left wing was flicked towards goal by Mark McLaughlin.

Ross Salmon in the Montrose net made an effort to punch the ball clear, but only connected with the head of David Marsh.

The Clyde midfield man bravely threw himself at the ball and knocked it home for 1-0.

Clyde soon made it 2-0 and made their dominance tell.

A wicked corner from Chris Mitchell was met perfectly by the unmarked Bolochoweckyj, who slammed his header into the net via the post.

Clyde were looking comfortable, and Ferguson was controlling the game with his pace and composure well above his years.

But following half time, Montrose got themselves back in the match.

Gary Fraser was released on the left side of the area and, cutting back on to his right foot, he found the top corner of the net with a fine curling effort from 18 yards.

Clyde appeared to be struggling and their lack of confidence from failing to close out matches was beginning to tell.

Montrose were suddenly edging a now tight affair but Clyde soon restored their two-goal advantage.

A long punt forward found the feet of Scott Ferguson.

His drilled effort was saved well at the feet of keeper Salmon, who will count himself unlucky his stop was entirely in vain.

The rebound rolled to the feet of Scott McLaughlin who, with all the time in the world, fired the ball into the empty net.

Clyde continued to pressure Montrose, with Scott Ferguson continuing to rip the Montrose back line apart.

He was withdrawn from the field to a standing ovation.

While the Montrose contingent left the ground disappointed, it was hard to deny Barry Ferguson’s side credit for their performance and they will surely see promotion as a real possibility with performances such as this.