Mo’ unlucky to share points


MONTROSE passed up the opportunity to move into the Division Three play-off spots with a home draw on Saturday against Queen’s Park.

The Gable Endies knew a win would see them leapfrog their visitors to fourth place, but they were unable to hold the lead they established in the first minute.

Montrose welcomed ‘keeper Sandy Wood back after suspension, while Terry Masson was among the substitutes. Montrose manager Stuart Garden selected a back four of Stephen McNally, Alan Campbell, Jonathan Crawford and Ricky McIntosh, with Jamie Winter, Craig McLeish and Scott Johnston selected alongside Young in midfield. Garry Wood was joined in attack by Scot Morton.

The players barely had time to break a sweat before the home side opened the scoring. Queen’s Park failed to deal with a throw-in deep on the Montrose left-hand side, allowing the ball to bobble around the box. It eventually fell to YOUNG, the midfielder lashing a shot into the roof of the net.

Montrose could have extended their lead two minutes later, Winter slipping a pass through to Morton, but the striker was beaten to the ball by visiting ‘keeper Lochhead, who booted clear.

At the other end, Queen’s Park looked threatening from corners, Keenan having a header punched over the crossbar by Wood. Keenan came even closer on the half-hour mark, firing a shot through the crowded home box, only to see the ball take the tiniest of deflections before rebounding off the post to safety.

Winter looked dangerous from set-pieces, testing Lochhead with a 35-yard free kick that zipped through the wall before deflecting for a corner. That attempt was followed by an audacious effort from Johnston, the young winger’s shot from 40 yards out on the left-hand side flying just an inch wide. The first half ended with Morton driving at the heart of the Queen’s Park defence, but he could only blast over from the edge of the box.

Half-time: Montrose 1, Queen’s Park 0.

Sandy Wood was fortunate to avoid a second red card in as many home matches after a scramble with Anthony Quinn. But he avoided the referee’s book, only to be beaten by a wonderful strike from the Spiders’ GALLACHER. The midfielder cut in from the right, shrugging his way past a challenge from Johnston, before curling a sublime left-footed shot over and around Wood.

Montrose introduced Masson, and the substitute raced down the left before crossing to Wood. The former Ross County striker met the ball with what appeared to be a perfect header, only to see it float over Lochhead and wide.

Queen’s Park were lucky to survive a scramble in their box in the 66th minute, clearing the ball off the line twice before Morton poked his shot wide of the target.

As the match drew to a close, Queen’s Park’s Lawrence Shankland fired a free kick straight at Wood.

Montrose: S. Wood, McNally, R. McIntosh, J. Crawford, Campbell, Winter, Young, McLeish (Masson 63), G. Wood, Morton, Johnston (Gray 71). Substitutes: Watson, McGuire and D. Crawford.

Attendance: 415.