Montrose 4-1 Berwick Rangers: Gary Fraser leads the scoring as Gable Endies go second

Photo - Phoenix Photo Shop
Photo - Phoenix Photo Shop

Montrose put their Scottish Cup disappointment the previous Saturday behind them as they moved into second place in the league table.

Once Gary Fraser had given the Gable Endies an early lead there was only going to be one winner as Montrose totally outplayed their visitors to record a fifth home victory out of six games this season.

After the match against Lothian Thistle HVS manager Paul Hegarty made three changes: out went injured Jordan Millar, Jordan Reoch and Gavin Malin and into the line up came Ross Salmon, Adam Harwood and Ross McCord.

It was the visitors who created the first opportunity of the match when Pascazio fouled Finn Graham on the edge of the area; the midfielder took the free kick himself but his effort was deflected over.

Montrose finally opened the scoring in the 17th minute after a flurry of chances.

Terry Masson split open the away defence and sent Gary Fraser clear only for the striker to be brought down inside the box by Notman.

After the recent penalty miss at Stirling Albion this time it was Fraser himself who stepped up to send Walker the wrong way from the spot for his seventh goal of the season.

Craig Halkett of the visitors became the first booking of the match in the 28th minute for a crunching tackle on Fraser.

In first half stoppage time it was the Gable Endies who grabbed a deserved second goal; after Berwick cleared an attack the ball found its way to Ryan Ferguson on the left, he whipped over a cross which Fraser calmly knocked forward inside the six yard box to Ross Campbell who drilled the ball into the bottom corner.

The visitors got themselves back into the match in the 57th minute with a goal out of nothing.

Finn Graham was going nowhere but was tripped some 25 yards out by McCord.

The same player then stepped up to fire the ball over the Montrose wall and into the net.

Thankfully for the home support Montrose restored their two goal advantage three minutes later.

After a McCord corner was cleared by the away defence Montrose were on the attack once again and McCord played a great pass to Scott Johnston, who found the byline and pulled the ball back to Graham Webster who only had to pick his spot as he drilled home his seventh goal of the season from six yards out.

Montrose sealed another impressive home victory in the 80th minute when a corner from McCord was cleared but only as far as Johnston, who played the ball back out to the midfielder and he delivered a great cross into the six yard area where Fraser sent a looping over Walker and into the net for goal number eight for the season.