Montrose drop out of play-off place

editorial image

Montrose were leapfrogged out of their play-off place by Clyde, as Barry Ferguson’s team defeated the lacklustre home side 3-0 at Links Park.

George Shields made widespread changes to the side defeated 5-1 by league leaders Arbroath last time out, with six different faces in the starting line-up.

Skipper Garry Wood moved to the back, with the absence of Alan Campbell due to injury, while on-loan ‘keeper Joe McGovern made his first start for the club, following the departure of Lucas Birnstingl. Steven Robb, Terry Masson, Stephen O’Neill and Leighton McIntosh all started, while Ross McCord, Danny Cavanagh, Ross Graham and, controversially, Paul Watson were dropped to the bench.

The changes failed to pay off, as Clyde took the lead within the first minute. SCOTT FERGUSON nodded the ball past McGovern from the centre of the box, following an Andrew Gibson free-kick, to give Montrose the worst possible start.

It was clear from the outset that the visitors were out to prove a point, after their 2-0 Scottish Cup defeat to Spartans the week before, and Montrose never really made it off the starting blocks.

A Bryan Deasley header was the closest the home side came to equalising in the opening stages but his close-range attempt went too high. Things went from bad to worse for Montrose in 26 minutes, when Scott Ferguson found EUAN MURRAY just outside the box who sent the ball in neatly past McGovern.

Deasley had an opportunity again shortly after the half hour mark but his left-footed shot was saved well by Alan Martin.

McGovern was called into action two minutes later, when he did well to tip away a Murray header. Clyde looked like they might get their third goal towards the end of the half, with good efforts from McIlduff and Gray but neither found their mark.

Half-time: Montrose 0, Clyde 2.

Montrose looked brighter after the break, with Leighton McIntosh looking likely, only to be denied by Martin. Barely a minute later, O’Donnell sent the ball soaring over the net for Clyde.

Clyde made their first substitution in the 52nd minute when Ferguson was replaced by Fraser McGhee. A minute later a Euan Smith effort went over the bar as the visitors continued to dominate. On the hour mark Masson was close to sneaking the ball into the bottom left corner of the goal but it was just tipped clear by Martin. With just over 20 minutes left to go Shields replaced Deasley with Watson.

In the 71st minute Clyde took their third and final goal when McILDUFF blasted the ball into the centre of the goal following an assist by Andy Gibson.

With 10 minutes to go Shields replaced Stephen O’Neill with Danny Cavanagh. Two minutes later, Watson stepped up for a free kick, following a foul by Craig Halkett, but the ball just whistled past the post.

Few more chances for either side in the closing minutes meant a final score of 3-0 and Montrose dropping to sixth in the League Two table.

Montrose: McGovern, Crawford, Robb, Wood, Harwood, Masson, Deasley (Watson), O’Neill (Cavanagh), McIntosh, Johnston, Day. Subs not used - McCord, Paul Harkins, Bell, Graham and McCafferty.