Montrose lose out to Clyde in final Links Park fixture

Ross Campbell heads just over
Ross Campbell heads just over

Montrose FC’s promising run came to an end on Saturday with a 1-0 defeat to Barry Ferguson’s Clyde at Links


In the last league fixture at home, Montrose gaffer Paul Hegarty had been hoping for a third win on the trot as they prepare for the pyramid play-offs at the end of the season.

But despite some flashes of promise, Montrose failed to take full advantage of their limited opportunities and left Clyde to take the three points back to Broadwood, as they rose to seventh in the league.

Hegarty made no changes to the starting XI that defeated Elgin City 2-1 the previous Saturday, though some changes were made to the bench with David Banjo dropped from the squad, Greg Cameron included and Paul Watson making a return.Both sides took their time to get out of the starting block, with limited chances for either. Clyde came closest in the opening minutes with Scott Durie firing wide from the edge of the box seven minutes in.

Ross McCord had a great opportunity to take the home side into the lead three minutes later, but he fired over the bar providing little to trouble visiting ‘keeper Alan Martin.

On the 15-minute mark, Clyde came close again with a Mark McLaughlin header but Stuart McKenzie denied the goal after a fumbled effort.

The home side’s best chance of the match came courtesy of skipper Garry Wood after 20 minutes. With a superb pass from Ross Campbell, Wood only had the ‘keeper to beat but sent his shot well wide. A Campbell header a few minutes later also failed to hit the mark – bouncing over the crossbar as the frustrating first-half wore on for the home side. Clyde had the final effort of the half, but McKenzie caught the Steven McDougall effort.


Montrose 0, Clyde 0.

Montrose came out for the second half looking stronger and Jordan Allan had a chance to take the lead but his shot went wide.

David Marshall took the visitors into the lead, eight minutes into the half, when he was able to send a low shot past McKenzie, after finding himself unmarked in the box.

It was an uphill struggle for Montrose from then on, with Allan having the best chance only to have his shot palmed clear by the Clyde ‘keeper.

Clyde could have made it two-nil with just under 20 minutes to go, when Scott Ferguson made the most of a shoddy pass by Ewan Moyes but McKenzie was quickly out to block him. McKenzie did well to block another shot, by Clyde sub Scott McManus, in the closing stages of the game.


Montrose 0, Clyde 1.

MONTROSE: Stuart McKenzie, Terry Masson, Andrew Steeves, Ross McCord (62 Paul Watson), Ewan Moyes, Jonathan Crawford, Scott Johnston, Graham Webster, Garry Wood, Jordan Allan, Ross Campbell (62 Declan Milne). Subs not used: Greg Cameron, Stephen O’Neill, Leighton McIntosh, John McCafferty (GK).