Montrose pay the penalty

A hotly-disputed last minute penalty kick from Annan Athletic stopped Montrose from grabbing three valuable points at Annan on Saturday.

Three points which would have moved them back into a play-off spot, a week after their poor home display against Clyde.

Two great goals, from Stephen Day and Leighton McIntosh, had Montrose in a winning position until referee Don Robertson intervened, to spoil their afternoon’s display.

After the home defeat from Clyde, the Montrose line up showed three changes. In came Craig Bell, Paul Watson and Danny Cavanagh for his full debut and out of the side went Steven Robb, Bryan Deasley and the injured Scott Johnston.

It was a perfect day for football as Montrose got their longest away trip of the season underway at Galabank on the all-weather surface.

It was Montrose who opened the scoring in 11 minutes, when a Bell throw-in was headed down in the box by McIntosh and STEPHEN DAY raced onto the knockdown to blast a left-footed effort into the corner of the net, for his first goal for the club.

Montrose kept up the pressure and in the 21st minute Leighton McIntosh fought for the ball before wriggling clear only to see his shot blocked well by the home defence.

Annan Athletic equalised in 28 minutes. Twice Craig Bell blocked crosses from Logan but, at the third attempt, the midfielder was able to flight over a cross which PETER WEATHERSTON headed back into the opposite corner of the goal.

Weatherston looked to add to his tally and five minutes later Harwood and Bell got up to foul the veteran, giving the home side a free-kick in a good position. Weatherston took the free-kick but McGovern got down well to save.

Half-time: Annan Athletic 1, Montrose 1.

In 51 minutes, a strong run from Leighton McIntosh saw him win Montrose a corner kick.

O’Neil played the corner short to Garry Wood who flicked the ball into the path of his defensive partner Adam Harwood, who just couldn’t connect at the far post.

The Gable Endies were looking for a second goal and a McIntosh pass set up Stephen O’Neil but his shot was deflected into the arms of ‘keeper Alex Mitchell in the 55 minutes.

In 76 minutes, Montrose regained the lead in bizarre circumstances.

Harkins headed the ball towards the corner flag where it looked as though ‘keeper Mitchell would get to it first.

He did, but promptly kicked the ball off LEIGHTON McINTOSH who managed to keep his composure and gather the ball before racing into the area and blasting the ball into the bottom corner of the unguarded net.

Montrose should have made it three with two minutes left.

Terry Masson got free down the left wing and sent over a perfect cross for Paul Harkins, who somehow managed to head past when it seemed easier to score.

Montrose were made to pay for that miss when Annan Athletic equalised in the 90th minute with a hotly-disputed penalty kick.

An Annan Athletic free-kick, on the edge of the area, was blasted into the box, where it was deflected away from goal.

Referee Don Robertson, decided it had deflected off Garry Wood’s hands and gave a penalty.

Not one Annan player claimed for a foul and another was away to take the corner kick.

But penalty it was and PETER WEATHERSTON fired low into the bottom corner, despite the valiant efforts of McGovern to keep the ball out.

Despite five minutes of stoppage time no team could force a winner and the points were shared.

MONTROSE: McGovern, Crawford, Bell, Wood, Harwood, O’Neil, Masson, Watson, McIntosh, Cavanagh (Harkins), Day (Deasley) Subs not used – McCord, Robb, Graham, Johnston, McKenzie.