Montrose smash Clyde in second half




Three goals in 11 minutes of the second half gave Montrose a fully deserved victory over Clyde at Broadwood Stadium on Saturday.

Montrose’s biggest victory at Cumbernauld took their unbeaten run to five matches and moved Stuart Garden’s side to third in the table on goal difference.

Montrose were unchanged from the Peterhead fixture as they took to the field at Broadwood with McKenzie in goal with McNally and McIntosh in the full back positions. Wilson and Rodger were paired once again in central defence. Gray and Young were on the flanks with Masson and Watson in the middle of the park. Wood and Deasley were up front.

The Montrose bench consisted of Webster, Johnston, Bonar, Sturrock, Bell, McCord and goalkeeper Dean Easton.

Montrose got the match underway on another glorious afternoon for football with the late autumn sun shining into keeper Stuart McKenzie’s eyes.

Clyde won an early corner kick when Capuano’s cross was blocked by Watson. McDonald’s first corner was cleared behind for another by Rodger and when he swung over the second McKenzie got up to hold onto the ball.

In the fourth minute, Watson set up David Gray with a shooting opportunity from 20 yards out but the midfielder’s effort flew over Barclay’s crossbar.

In the following minute, Gray sent over a dangerous cross from the right but Wood just couldn’t get his head to the ball.

Montrose kept up the pressure and with seven minutes gone, Wood laid the ball off to his strike partner Deasley but he could only fire the ball into the side netting.

Garry Wood then had an effort on goal in the tenth minute, when he gathered a Young pass turned on the edge of the area but he could only curl his shot wide of the far post.

Despite all the early pressure, Montrose had a let off in the 12th minute, Kieran McDonald fired over a low cross from the left and Kevin Watt stabbed the ball off the underside of the bar before the visiting defence managed to clear the ball.

In the 17th minute, Montrose centre half Gareth Rodger strode out of defence and fired a great cross field ball to Deasley, who in turn found Wood. The captain then slipped the ball back to his strike partner, whose cross was blocked for a corner. Gray’s corner was blocked straight back out to him and he fired in a low shot, which was also blocked by a home defender.

Clyde had a rare opportunity in the 22nd minute, when Ferguson got on the end of another McDonald cross but could only head into the arms of McKenzie.

Two minutes later, Watson won the ball in a midfield tackle and his low drive from 25 yards out was tipped wide by Clyde goalkeeper Jamie Barclay.

On the half hour mark, Montrose had another good opportunity to open the scoring. Full back Stephen McNally sent in a great first time cross on the run which was met by Garry Wood inside the six yard box but Barclay did well to push his header over the crossbar.

With 36 minutes gone, Clyde striker Stefan McCluskey turned Colin Wilson inside the box but after doing all the hard work he could only blast the ball over the crossbar.

Five minutes before the interval, a Watson shot was blocked for another Montrose corner kick. Gray’s corner kick was headed across goal by Young only for Watson to head into the roof of the net at the far post.

Half time: Montrose 0, Clyde 0.

Montrose started the second half on the attack and won a free kick, when John Sweeney held back Deasley on the edge of the area and was promptly booked be referee Mat Northcroft. David Gray took the free kick but could only hit the Clyde wall.

Montrose finally got a deserved goal seconds later, Lloyd Young was the instigator, when he slipped a pass through to his captain Garry WOOD who turned quickly and fired a low right footed shot into the bottom corner for his second goal of the season.

Montrose then made their first change of the afternoon after 52 minutes, when Lloyd Young who had been suffering from a virus during the week, was replaced by Scott Johnston.

The Gable Endies went further ahead the following minute, Gray’s cross was blocked for a corner kick and after his first corner was headed behind, his second effort proved to be more rewarding, when young central defender Gareth RODGER made space brilliantly to bullet a header home from ten yards out for his first goal in Montrose colours.

Montrose were now oozing confidence after the two goal burst and almost added a third on the hour mark. Johnston was fouled on the left and when Gray swung over the free kick, Rodger’s was inches away from making contact for his second goal of the afternoon.

The home side then made their first change in an effort to get back into the match, when they brought on Michael Daly for Stefan McCluskey.

Montrose then sealed the points in the 61st minute with another cracking goal.

Terry Masson found Deasley inside the area with a great ball and he in turn slipped the ball to substitute Scott JOHNSTON, who in one move took the ball away from a defender and slipped it into the corner of the net for his first goal of the season.

It was now all Montrose, as they totally dominated the midfield and with 65 minutes gone, McIntosh played a great ball to Wood who knocked the ball down to Paul Watson, who from 25 yards out fired inched wide of Barclay’s far post.

Two minutes later, Gray passed to Garry Wood who powered past his marker and strode into the ball before smashing a shot high and wide, when he probably had better options in the box, including the unmarked Johnston.

The home side made another switch in the 68th minute, with Grant Dickie taking the place of Stefan McCluskey

Clyde were being outplayed all over the park but in the 70th minute they had a rare opportunity when Wood fouled Daly. The dangerous McDonald took the free kick but Ryan Frances headed straight into the arms of McKenzie who had enjoyed a relatively quiet afternoon in the Gable Endies’ goal.

Seconds later, they had another opportunity when a McDonald corner kick was headed back across goal by youngster Ferguson but this time it was Brian McQueen who headed over the crossbar.

On 74 minutes, Montrose went close to a fourth goal. A Gray corner found Rodger, who in turn found Garry Wood, and his shot on the turn was tipped wide by Barclay in the home goal.

Three minutes later, Stuart McColm who had been kept in check by McNally all afternoon, had a rare opportunity when he collected a McDonald pass but he could only hook the ball over the crossbar. It was to be the winger’s last action of the afternoon, as he was immediately taken off and replaced by Ryan McBeth.

At the same time, Montrose made their second change, bringing on Graham Webster in place of David Gray.

A run from Deasley then saw him play a ball through ball to Graham Webster but the substitute could only curl this effort over the crossbar.

Garry Wood then went on a tremendous surging run from the half way line, he beat two defenders and got clear inside the box. He appeared to be held back by McQueen but got in a shot, which the defender blocked and ‘keeper Barclay blocked the follow up effort.

With five minutes remaining, young Kieran Sturrock was brought on to replace Bryan Deasley.

Sixty second later, Paul Watson had Montrose’s final chance of the afternoon, when his free kick beat everybody inside the box and just failed to sneak inside the far post.

Montrose now take a break from league action before playing Queen’s Park.

On Saturday (October 5) take a trip down to Dumfries and Galloway to play Lowland League side Dalbeattie Star in the second round of the William Hill Scotland Cup.

Montrose: McKenzie, McNally, McIntosh, Wilson, Rodger, Masson, Gary (Webster), Watson, Wood, Deasley (Sturrock), Young (Johnston). Substitutes (not used): Bonar, Bell, McCord and Easton.