Montrose Youth’s big win in first local derby

BROOMFIELD was the scene of a vital derby football fixture on Sunday because for the first time since they started competitive matches, both Montrose under-14 teams met in a league encounter.

The weather was fair and the winter cold seemed to have lessened for the occasion.

Most players knew their opponents, whom they meet day in day out at Montrose Academy and even play together in their school colours. But friendship was laid aside on Sunday - the Vics were in yellow strips while the Youth, counting as the home side, were in their usual blue colours.

Both teams were ready for battle when the whistle blew for kick-off at 12.30.

The game was finely balanced for the first five minutes with both sides passing quickly in midfield.

In the second minute, after a kick in the face, Jordan Harrison was substituted by Scott Coull.

The Youth started to pass more efficiently, feeding their wingers

In the 7th minute, Kyle McLeod crossed to Liam BAILEY whose semi-volley just under the bar, gave Lewis Dickson no chance.

Stung by this goal, the Vics were eager to equalize but the Youth pressed again, sensing the opportunity to double the tally.

Morgan Smith intercepted the ball to serve a canny pass and McLEOD’S low shot beat Lewis for the second time within a minute.

The Vics had to react quickly if the match was to be turned back to their advantage.

However, the Youth’s game started to fall into place. MORGAN, unchallenged, increased the score in the 10th minute from Ryan Mather’s fine cross.

Three goals down after 10 minutes meant there was now a mountain for the Vics to climb.

The game was more in the Vics’ half and two other attacks by the Youth missed their targets. Ross Mitchell and Jack Murison cleared two dangerous attempts from Bailey and McLeod in the box, but the third proved one too many. In the 23rd minute, Bailey sneaked the ball to McLEOD who pivoted for his second goal despite a good dive from Lewis.

Half-time: Youth 4, Vics 0.

The visitors had a serious deficit to make up and came back onto the pitch ambitious to put their mark on the scoreboard.

The team’s passing was better and Leo Travis sent in a good header that flirted with Cameron’s left post for the Vics’ best chance.

Two free-kick opportunities followed for the Youth around 25 yards from Lewis’s line. Both were taken by Morgan. Lewis saved the first but could not stop the second which flew just underneath the crossbar for MORGAN’S second.

After 18 minutes of the second half, the Vics were on their back feet.

Mounting another Youth attack Ryan Mather drove down the right wing and crossed to BAILEY, who beat Lewis for the sixth time.

This left little hope of a come-back for the unfortunate visiting team.

In the 26th minute, after a good pass from Connor Mitchell, Leo Travis got another chance with a shot wide on the left of the Youth goal.

The next two Youth goals came within a minute of each other. The first was from Bailey’s pass to McLeod who scored inside the side net.

The second and last followed a great save from the Vics’ keeper who diverted the ball on his right. Scott Coull crossed back to the centre and McLEOD clinically thumped the ball home to register an eight-goal difference between the two teams.

In this first needle encounter between these two sides, Montrose Youth had more possession of the ball on the day and a greater willingness to win.

Despite this defeat, the Vics have to regroup and remember that a derby is always a gamble that can be turned round when the teams meet again this season.

Montrose should be celebrating the fact that it has two teams under-14 competing fiercely in the D.S. Rennie league, the top league for the area.

The Academy, still in the school Scottish Cup, will have a good group of players to choose from to form a solid squad.

Youth: Cameron Glennie, Shaun Low, Jordan Harrison, Dean Quinn, Jamie Riach, Matt Davies, Jan Coineaux-Rice, Morgan Smith, Scott Coull, Liam Bailey, Kyle McLeod, Ryan Mather, David Craig, Dylan Pert and Gareth Low.