No joy for Johnshaven on cup duty

Stoneywood Amateurs 5,

Johnshaven Athletic 2

JOHNSHAVEN were on their travels on Saturday when they faced Stoneywood Amateurs in the first round of the Colin’s Tyres Association Trophy.

In the 10th minute Johnshaven gave away a throw-in which Stoneywood quickly took. Johnshaven ‘keeper MacLean saved the initial shot but their second attempt went in to put them in the lead 1-0.

A couple of minutes later Scott shot from the edge of the box but the Stoneywood ‘keeper saved well.

A minute later Dalgarno cut the ball back to S. Blease who turned and shot but a home player blocked. The resultant corner by Smith found Mennie whose shot went over.

In the 17th minute a Stoneywood shot from the edge of the box was well saved by Johnshaven ‘keeper MacLean.

A minute later a Johnshaven defender body checked the Stoneywood striker. A penalty was awarded but the home taker put it wide.

In the 23rd minute a Stoneywood shot from the edge of the box increased their lead to 2-0.

Nine minutes later, S. Blease skinned his man and was about to shoot when a Stoneywood defender tackled him, but the ball ended up in the net for an own goal to make the score 2-1.

In 37 minutes, Dalgarno knocked the ball on to Scott Beedie whose first time shot went well over the Stoneywood bar.

Six minutes later, Dundas set off on a great run only to be fouled in the box. Steven Scott stepped up to take the penalty and popped the ball low into the right-hand side of the net for the equaliser. Score 2-2.

A minute later Dundas hit the ball on the volley, but the Stoneywood ‘keeper saved.

Half-time: Stoneywood 2, Johnshaven 2.

In the opening minutes of the second half Smith took the ball to the by-line and hit it across the face of the goal, but there were no takers for Johnshaven.

In the 49th minute a Stoneywood free kick was headed home to put them back in the lead 3-2. A minute later Johnshaven made their first substitution when Stephen Stephen came off. Dalgarno moved to right-back and Kevin Hector came on in midfield.

Four minutes later, a carbon copy of their third goal, saw a Stoneywood free kick drifted in and was knocked down their striker who shot home to make the score 4-2.

In the 63rd minute Johnshaven made their second and final substitution when Stuart Beedie replaced an injured Leon Dundas. Three minutes later, Johnshaven ‘keeper MacLean brilliantly tipped a long range shot from Stoneywood over the bar.

Soon after, a shot from the edge of the box by S. Blease was saved by the Stoneywood keeper.

In the 73rd minute some good play by S. Blease as he held up the ball before laying it off to Scott whose shot went over.

Five minutes later a through ball from S. Blease went over the Stoneywood defence to Smith whose shot went straight to the ‘keeper.

In 79 minutes, following a jinking run by S. Blease, the ball fell to Smith whose shot was again well saved.

Two minutes from time Stoneywood beat the offside trap. The ball fell to one of their players who scored after he lobbed the advancing ‘keeper.

Team: Jarred MacLean, Stephen Stephen (Kevin Hector), Lawrence Slavin, Kevin Harrison, James Mennie, Steven Scott, Scott Beedie, Jack Dalgarno, Leon Dundas (Stuart Beedie), Shaun Blease and Steven Smith.