No-score draw crushes Roselea’s D.J. Laing hopes

ROSELEA faced local rival Arbroath Vics in the second of their three D.J. Laing Cup League Cup matches.

With Roselea drawing and Vics winning their opening games, a win was going to be a must for the home side and anything else would mean that their chances of reaching the knock-out semi-final stage would be slim.

Roselea suffered a blow when Calum Rae was declared unfit. Although he took a spot on the bench unlikely to play, and Stewart Fletcher was ruled out with tonsillitis. On the plus side James Collier returned and commanded a starting place alongside Joe Aitken in attack. Broomfield Park was looking as good as it has for many years and the weather was pleasant as well.

Roselea almost had first blood in four minutes. Aitken annoyed the Vics’ defence and when the ball broke to Anderson 25 yards out he hit a well-controlled volley which Hutcheson beat out at full stretch.

Reoch found himself booked on eight minutes for a late tackle. Warren sent in a very dangerous free kick which McLeod had to hold with onrushing Vics’ players following up.

Roselea took a quick free kick with Kennedy feeding Ryan Taylor down the line. He rounded three players before cutting back to Kennedy to shoot, but again Hutcheson beat the ball out. Aitken followed up with a header which was saved on the line.

On 16 minutes a Taylor corner found its way to Collier at the front post. However his shot was blocked and the Vics defence cleared the danger again.

Three minutes later Roselea were awarded a free kick 24 yards out after a couple of fouls on Lea players. Hood stepped up and sent a dipping free kick just over.

Play swung to the other end and a minute later the dangerous Stephen sent in a low cross which went right across goal with no takers.

The game was flowing from end to end and a penalty claim for a push on Collier was waved on and followed up by McLeod turning a Nicky Smith shot behind for a corner.

There were still no goals on the half-hour mark but Vics had their best spell of pressure forcing a couple of corners. Roselea defended well and blocked a shot from Durno. Kennedy was booked for a foul and from the free kick McLeod had to stand tall to save from Smith at the far post.

On 34 minutes Aitken and Taylor combined well before Aitken laid the ball back to Mustard who hit a great first time shot but it was too straight to trouble Hutcheson.

Arbroath Vics had their best chance of the half in 40 minutes when Owbridge hit a low shot from the edge of the box which McLeod pushed to the side. The ‘keeper had to get up quickly to block Stephen who was coming in to follow up and score.

Roselea had the last chance of the half almost on time after another scramble following a Kennedy corner but again the Vics kept Roselea at bay.

Half-time: Roselea 0, Arbroath Vics 0.

Roselea opened the second half strongly and had a slight breeze behind them. A quick free kick found Kennedy on the left. His cross field pass found Aitken coming in at the far post and he connected too strongly on the volley when a header might have produced a better result.

Roselea had their best chance of the game in 58 minutes when Collier and Aitken combined well 30 yards out, Collier used his strength to hold off a couple of chances before shooting under the ‘keeper who managed to get a foot on the ball and it went agonisingly past for a corner.

From the corner Kennedy found Collier at the far post. His header back across goal found Whyte whose header was turned over the bar.

Roselea had the next chance as well on 71 minutes. Hood switched the ball across to Kennedy and his cross was met by the head of Collier. The ball fell to the feet of Hutcheson who held well.

On 72 minutes Riach replaced the hard working Aitken.

With 11 minutes remaining Roselea should have taken the lead with a double chance. Hood was through on Hutcheson but, instead of shooting, squared to Collier who appeared to be fouled but referee Leslie did not see it the same way.

Paul Taylor replaced Lee Hood with nine minutes left on the clock.

Taylor almost made an impact when he had a goalward header cleared after Collier challenged the ‘keeper but from 16 yards he was not going to beat Florence who had read the danger and headed away.

Roselea: McLeod, Colquhoun, Whyte, Reoch, R. Taylor, Kennedy, Mustard, Anderson, Hood, Collier, Aitken. Substitutes: Riach, P. Taylor, Strachan, Urquhart, Craig, Rodger and Rae. Match Sponsors Halliburton chose Lee Hood as their Man of the Match.

For the second week running Roselea put in a good performance but did not get the result. Although they did not create as many chances as against Blairgowrie they had enough and better chances than Vics to win. This Saturday will see Roselea travel to Guthrie Park Forfar to face Albion in the final match in the Section. Only a freak result will prevent Vics reaching the semi-finals at Roselea’s expense for the second year running. Vics return to Broomfield Park for the opening North Division match on August 27. Both matches kick off at 2.30pm

Ladies’ dinner

There are still some tickets available for the third Roselea Ladies’ Dinner on September 3. The event starts at 7.30pm in the Links Hotel and tickets are priced at £35 per person. Tables of any size can be booked by contacting Roy Gill on 07908 763219 or