Oakley teach Roselea a tough lesson

Roselea beaten by Oakley 3-2
Roselea beaten by Oakley 3-2

OAKLEY UNITED................... 3


Roselea entertained Oakley United on Saturday in a Premier League match. They desperately needed three points to get their season going.

They were boosted by the return of Stuart Richardson from an injury and Paul Whyte who returned after a spell in Amateur football with Luthermuir. Jo Reoch and Stewart Fletcher missed out again due to injury and Calum Rae finished the second of his two game suspension.

Oakley had made a good start to the season and boasted several players with senior experience, with some playing in the Premier League.

Roselea got off to the perfect start, when they were awarded a penalty in just three minutes. Whyte won his header from a corner kick, but the referee spotted an infringement on another player and pointed to the spot, much to the frustration of the Oakley players. Dale REID took over penalty duties from Calum Watson and made no mistake putting the keeper the wrong way.

Watson headed a throw in into the path of Dale Reid, but his volley was way off target. In 12 minutes, Watson had a chance of his own when his downward header from a Reid cross was well held by Burgess in the Oakley goal.

Roselea had a let off in 17 minutes, when a 25 yard low shot by Docherty hit the base of the post with McLeod at full stretch but bounced wide to safety.

It was Roselea’s turn to have a go from 25 yards, when Watson was tripped by Hughes, who received a booking. Collier dummied and Duncan Reid shot high and over the bar with his curling effort.

Roselea were caught with a quick throw and Allan got the other side of Richardson before poking a shot, which McLeod tipped onto the bar and behind for a corner.

In 23 minutes, Roselea were under pressure from a couple of Oakley headers, before Collier sent Anderson away on a run and he in turn sent Watson away on the left, however he shot from a tight angle and found the side netting.

Roselea defended well on the half hour, when Dairs shot was blocked by Collier in the box. They had another chance in 38 minutes, when Anderson’s long throw was headed on by Collier, with Calum Watson inches away from getting a vital touch.

McLeod had a great save a minute later, when Dair’s dipping cross was bravely held by the keeper, with Allan almost getting on the end of it.

Watson had another chance when Ryan Taylor dinked a ball to him on the corner of the box, he managed to get his shot away but couldn’t direct it goalwards.

Roselea defended well, with Whyte managing to intercept a Conner’s flick away for a corner, however this led to Oakley’s equalising goal.

Roselea cleared the corner, but when the ball came back in it took a kind deflection to SCARBOROUGH and he shot home from close range. A cruel blow as they had defended well for the whole half.

A minute later, Ryan Taylor got caught under the ball and couldn’t clear, and only a point blank save from McLeod prevented them going in a goal down at half time.

Half time: Montrose Roselea 1, Oakley Utd 1

Whyte was booked for a tackle just outside the box in the centre of the Roselea goal for showing his studs. Dair hit a goalbound shot, which struck the head of Richardson before going over.

In 59 minutes, Roselea had their first good chance of the second half, Duncan Reid rolled a ball into Watson and when his first shot was blocked with his left, he hit a great volley which was charged down by a great tackle from Wilson.

Roselea got their noses in front after 63 minutes with a great finish from Calum WATSON. He combined well with Dale Reid, who back heeled him in and past Walker. Just when it looked like he had over run the ball, he flicked it over the advancing Burgess from 12 yards.

In 70 minutes, another fine save by McLeod beat the ball from Scarborough to safety.

Oakley equalised in 73 minutes, when Charlie SCARBOROUGH finished from a tight angle, with the ball taking a slight deflection on its way in.

Roselea had a great chance to get back in front when Reid pressurised Walker and the ball fell to Collier in the box, but took an unfortunate bobble just before he hit it and went wide.

Roselea were hit by the sucker punch, as so often they have been this season, with a late goal taking the three points back to Fife. With Roselea attacking, the ball broke to the other end and after McLeod had saved the first shot the excellent DOCHERTY followed up to score from six yards.

This was another tough lesson for Roselea, having yet again led twice before succumbing to a very experienced Oakley side. There was a spell in the second half where the home side failed to retain possession, which proved costly. There were some excellent performances with the returning Whyte and Richardson in central defence, and McLeod goals are worthy of a mention. There is still plenty of time for Roselea to resurrect the season, but they are slowly beginning to look adrfit at the bottom.

This week they face Bathgate, who look like they will be in with a chance of the title. A bus running from the Golf Inn at 11 a.m. and supporters are welcome to join.

Roselea: McLeod, Riach, Whyte, Richardson, R Taylor, Duncan Reid, Collier, Anderson, Cruickshank, Dale Reid and Watson. Subs: Thomson, Rausch, Gammie and Brand.