Old derby throws up classic semi-final

Fordoun made the short trip to Fettercairn to try and secure their third cup final appearance of the season. The first half was a tense affair with neither side able to create many chances.

The closest the visitors went was through a Logan Cruickshank overhead kick which didn’t cause the home ‘keeper any concern. Fettercairn took the lead when a free kick made its way the back post and was bundled over the line from close distance.

A great Ross Stirling delivery left James Mennie with the easiest of finishes as the centre half continued his fine scoring form.

Half-time: Fettercairn 1, Fordoun Galaxy 1.

Fordoun changed personnel in a half time reshuffle. Iain Cuthill was sent up front but more on that masterstroke later. Fettercairn were presented a great opportunity to regain the lead when James Mennie was deemed to have fouled an attacker in the box. Once again David Jamieson was the hero when he dived low to his risk and pushed the spot kick onto the post.

David Jamieson pulled off a remarkable point blank save to keep the sides level but it wasn’t long before he was beaten again. Fettercairn’s number 10 found space to turn in the box before firing into the bottom corner.

Fordoun probed for an equaliser and eventually it came with two minutes of normal time remaining. A corner wasn’t properly cleared and when the ball landed at the feet of Andy Stirling he swept it home before temporarily going out of his mind.

Full-time: Fettercairn 2, Fordoun Galaxy 2.

The action continued in extra-time and when Fordoun were caught napping a quick free kick sent the Fettercairn winger down the right, his cross was converted to make it 3-2 and the home side were dreaming of a cup final once more. Iain Cuthill was coming more into the game and after linking up with Darren Cruickshank and Derry Simpson he burst through the middle and equalised.

Moments later and an almost identical goal with the same result, Ian Cuthill had his second of the game and the Galaxy lead for the first time.

Cuthill picked up the ball 25 yards from goal, picked his spot and nonchalantly fired it into the top corner. Fordoun were in dreamland and Fettercairn were distraught.

However, the tie wasn’t over. Fettercairn won a corner and loaded the box, the ball broke into the six yard box and after a scramble the referee judged that it had crossed the line.

A fracas broke out between the Fettercairn ‘keeper and the Fordoun sideline which saw officials from both players piling onto the pitch. The referee regained control and the match resumed.

Fettercairn pushed for an equaliser and launched the ball forward; James Mennie turned to face his own goal and tried to put his laces through the ball only to look on in horror as the ball sliced over David Jamieson and into the back of the net. The locals went berserk and Fordoun looked to the heavens.

James Mennie burst into the box only to be thwarted by the ‘keeper. Fordoun won a free kick 20 yards from goal, Derek Anderson stepped up and bent his free kick round the wall only to see it hit the post, Iain Cuthill followed up but sent his shot into the side-netting as the final whistle sounded.

Full-time, extra-time: Fettercairn 5, Fordoun Galaxy 5.

Fordoun took the first penalty and captain Andrew Stirling made no mistake, Fettercairn missed their first effort but Darren Cruickshank was also denied. Fettercairn missed again and after successful attempts from Derek Anderson and James Mennie, Derry Simpson scored the decisive fifth kick to send Fordoun into the final.