On form Roselea hit double seven

ROSELEA travelled to Foxhall Park Coupar Angus to face the home side for the second consecutive week.

Having won by seven goals to nil the consensus could easily have been that another win would be a formality. However, the Roselea management had their players fully prepared for a tough match.

Colin Kennedy, who returned from holiday, was an addition to the bench, but unlikely to feature as Roselea started with the same 11 as the previous week.

Foxhall Park was beginning to show the first signs of winter and although very heavy had been rolled and was ready for action.

Any doubts that Roselea were going to be taking the game easy were quickly proved wrong with two goals in the opening five minutes. However, there was still time beforehand for Coupar Angus to force a great save from McLeod who had to beat out a 25-yard free kick.

The visitors opened the scoring in three minutes when Ryan Taylor made a forward run from the left-back area and spotted FLETCHER free on the right hand side of the box and the in form striker took a touch before sending a low left-foot shot under the ‘keeper.

It was 2-0 in five minutes, this time courtesy of a mistake by Spence in the home goal. He miskicked a clearance straight to RAE in the middle of the pitch some 30 yards out and although not the easiest of chances in the conditions, his first-time shot found the empty net.

It could have been three a minute later when a great Urquhart cross was turned onto his own bar by Malone and out for a corner.

It wasn’t until 19 minutes that the next chance came and it was again Roselea who created it. Urquhart sent in another great cross and Rae headed goalwards only for Spence to turn the ball over with a great save.

Coupar Angus’s young side were down but not out and they continued to try and play football without creating any real openings.

Stewart Fletcher brought out a great save from Spence when he spectacularly volleyed a shot on the swivel from the edge of the box but the BBC sports reporter’s son again tipped the ball over for a corner.

Deuchar then had a great run for Coupar Angus beating two players when he found himself with too much room but screwed his shot into the side-netting.

It was 3-0 Roselea in 37 minutes. Anderson skipped over the midfield mud evading two tackles and slipped the ball to COLLIER who steadied himself before picking his spot in the corner and finished well.

Just when Roselea looked on easy street Coupar Angus clawed their way back into the game with a tremendous goal. Fraser SMITH received a bouncing ball on the 18-yard box before turning and hitting an unstoppable volley into the roof of the net.

Half-time: Coupar Angus 1, Montrose Roselea 3.

Roselea had the first chance of the second half when Taylor went on one of his long runs and squared to Fletcher who couldn’t get enough on the ball to trouble Spence who beat out to the onrushing Rae, but with the ball at a difficult height he kneed the ball over.

It was only a matter of time before Roselea increased their lead and they did so a minute later. Taylor again willing to get forward squared to Rae and when his shot was blocked into the path of URQUHART he did what other should have been doing and put his foot through the ball to make it 4-1 for the visitors.

In 65 minutes COLLIER made it 5-1 when he beat the offside trap and in a carbon copy of his goal the previous week rounded the ‘keeper and slotted home from a tight angle.

That was the end of the action for Roselea strikers Collier and Fletcher as they made way for substitutes Paul Taylor and Aitken.

Taylor almost got his name on the scoresheet when he headed just over from an Urquhart cross in 70 minutes.

Hood replaced Urquhart a minute later.

Scott RIACH made it 6-1 in 73 minutes when his speculative lob from the edge of the box dipped over Spence who could do nothing to prevent it.

Aitken was unlucky not to add to the tally two minutes later when he outstripped the home defence, but possibly got to good a contact as the ‘keeper slid out towards him and the ball dipped wide of the post.

The substitutes were having an impact and Paul Taylor brought out a great save from Spence who yet again tipped the ball over the bar.

Roselea sub AITKEN got number seven in the 81st minute when he scored from close range with Coupar Angus claiming Anderson and Hood were in an offiside position, however the latter had made a late run.

There was still time for Derek Duncan of the home side to receive a second yellow for handball and he made the long walk to switch the showers on.

Roselea: McLeod, Colquhoun, Whyte, Reoch, R Taylor, Urquhart, Rae, Anderson, Riach, Collier, Fletcher. Substitutes: Rodger, Hood, Aitken, P. Taylor, Mustard, Kennedy and Brand.

As perhaps expected Roselea ranked up their second seven-goal scoreline in consecutive weeks.

In a strange way the scoreline does not reflect the battle that Coupar Angus put up, but on missed chances it should have been more. It was another good team performance with all doing their jobs and keeps the unbeaten run going. Roselea now move into second place and are five points behind early leaders Violet.

Saturday’s match

This week Roselea are at home to fellow North Division side Blairgowrie in the Emirates Junior Cup second round. The sides met in August on League Cup duty and the home side will want to avenge the 1-1 draw which should have been an easy win and ultimately cost them a place in the League Cup semi-finals.

Roselea should have a full squad available and the match kicks off at 2pm.