One to forget for 10-man Roselea

editorial image

Roselea faced Downfield on Saturday in a North Division match.

The squad was boosted by the return of Calum Rae and James Collier from hamstring injuries. On the negative side Craig Anderson was serving the first of a two-game suspension.

Roselea started brightly and forced a corner in the first minute.

Downfield looked sharp with their passing. They too forced a couple of early corners but McLeod in the home goal dealt with them as he should.

Roselea had a good chance to take the lead when a great crossfield ball from Riach found Cruickshank at the far post. His volley looked goalbound before it hit his own player Collier who deflected the ball past.

Ralph Henderson of Downfield could have been the first booking of the game in the 12th minute when he went in heavy on Watson from behind. Watson and Deuchars of Downfield then clashed off the ball with Deuchars appealing that he had been tripped.

Half-time: Roselea 0, Downfield 0.

Roselea started the second half well but it just seemed as if it wasn’t going to be Calum Watson’s day. Scott Riach chipped a perfect ball into his chest which he took down but just couldn’t get enough on his shot to trouble Thain in the Downfield goal.

Downfield won a free kick 25 yards out and it was clear that Ferrie was going to have a blast at it. Fortunately for Roselea the ball went wide.

Roselea made a change in 73 when Dale Reid replaced Riach as they tried to take the game more to Downfield

Roselea’s afternoon was going to go from bizarre to obscene from the 80th minute onwards.

Downfield broke and Scott raced for a ball with McLeod on the corner of the 18-yard box. Reoch nipped in to clear the danger and had possession of the ball near the corner flag with nobody near him. McLeod’s momentum saw him collide with Scott. The referee pointed to the spot and awarded a penalty. Ferrie stepped up and blasted the ball about chest high right down the middle and somehow McLeod, who had already started to dive, managed to get his hand to the ball and beat it out for a corner.

Roselea were sure they had opened the scoring in the 85th minute when Paul Whyte bulleted a header into the net. At first the referee appeared to award a goal, but he changed his mind and gave a free kick for handball. In the resulting confusion Calum Rae was red-carded for comments made to an opposition player.

The script had been written and it was no surprise when Downfield scored the winner in the 87th minute - a goal worthy of winning any game. Scott REYNOLDS picked up a loose ball at the edge of the box and cut inside before curling a great shot over McLeod and into the corner of the net.

Roselea: McLeod, Allan, R. Taylor, Whyte, Reoch, Riach, Ross, Rae, Cruickshank, Watson, Collier. Substitutes: Reid, Milne, P. Taylor, Brand and Craig.

This was a painful defeat for Roselea who missed a handful of chances. Downfield had good spells, especially in the second half, and the winning goal was a delightful finish. The turning point came with the disallowed goal and red card followed by the cruel goal minutes later.

Roselea travel to Forfar Albion on Saturday with a 1.45pm kick-off at Guthrie Park.