“Over-rated” jibe overturned

BEFORE Thursday’s Review Cup first-round tie, an MCT substitute had described Fordoun on Facebook as “over-rated”, but Galaxy did their talking on the pitch against the Matrix Cup winners.

In early exchanges Hector wasted a free kick and Keddie shot over for Galaxy. At the other end R. Stirling, with a block, and I. Welsh, with a save, denied the hosts.

In 19 minutes Tough sent a speculative effort sailing over the bar before Hector also sent a shot over. Hector then swung in a corner which McComiskie headed past.

Near the half-hour MCT wasted a great chance when an unmarked attacker shot past at the back post when it looked easier to score. MCT players Stridgeon and Myres then went for the same ball as another chance went begging. In the final chance of the half the MCT ‘keeper held a Nathan Keddie header after a Dean McComiskie cross.

Half-time: MCT 0, Fordoun Galaxy 0.

Five minutes into the second half Hector played in Cuthill who saw his shot saved before Keddie crossed for McComiskie who sent his shot past.

Galaxy broke the deadlock in 54 minutes when an R. Welsh corner was headed home by TOUGH.

MCT went route one to try and get back into it but McPherson’s shot was well saved by I. Welsh and in reply Cuthill’s effort went past the ‘keeper’s right-hand post. McComiskie cut the ball back for R. Welsh to shoot past and in 67 minutes a cross from Cuthill hit the bar and evaded the waiting Keddie.

It was 2-0 Galaxy in 63 minutes when Keddie weaved into the box before being fouled and HECTOR fired home his third penalty in two games.

In 77 minutes a Keddie cross drifted away from Deans as Galaxy looked to put the game to bed.

Just two minutes later MCT halved the deficit when the best efforts of R. Stirling and I. Welsh couldn’t stop the ball crossing the line.

Soon after, a great ball across the face of the MCT goal was knocked away for a corner. In 89 minutes Galaxy put the tie to bed when a quick break was finished by top scorer McCOMISKIE.

Defeat means this was MCT’s final game of the season, whilst Fordoun made it three wins inside a week and have next week’s quarter-final tie at home to Northern Vaults to look forward to.