Pansies prevail as slack Roselea pay the price

WHILST most people were looking to get ready for the big Scotland International match on Saturday, Montrose Roselea were in Dundee hoping to build on their opening day draw with Arbroath Vics in the East Region McBookie.Com North Division.

Roselea’s side was again dictated by holidays. On the plus side Sean Mustard and Joe Aitken returned, but Craig Anderson, Scott Riach and Bob Urquhart were unavailable.

On top of that Stewart Fletcher had picked up a recurrence of his tonsilitis while on holiday. Roselea drafted in a trialist on the form of ex-Montrose FC player Ian Greig who played on the left hand side of midfield.

The visitors faced a strong breeze as they kicked off on a flat surface which had been freshly rolled, but had the worst possible start when they conceded a goal in only two minutes. Slack marking at a throw-in allowed the thrower to receive the ball back and his cross was easily headed into the net by Ross GRANT to give the homesters the perfect start.

Roselea fought back and on six minutes a quick Colquhoun free kick set Colin Kennedy away down the right hand side. His dangerous cross was turned behind for a corner, thwarting the diving header from Collier. The corner broke out to Greig at the edge of the box but his right-foot effort was too high.

The Pansies had a good move in 10 minutes involving four players. It resulted in Grant shooting over, with the advancing McLeod doing enough to put him off. Three minutes later hesitation by the Roselea defence saw McLeod having to save at the feet of McConnechy, who appeared to follow through. The game was stopped for a few minutes to allow treatment and restarted with a drop ball.

The Montrose side had a claim for a goal in 26 minutes when Collier flicked on a Kennedy corner and the ball was cleared off the line by a Violet defender. Roselea’s claim that it had crossed the line was not conceded by the assistant and play raged on. Another corner in 31 minutes saw Whyte head just over as the visitors’ performance improved.

Violet had a chance on 38 minutes after a couple of defensive headers were caught up in the wind. The ball eventually fell to Ballantyne but he shot over. The Pansies went closer a minute later when Ryan Taylor was caught on the ball and allowed Grant to progress from a wide angle. His cross-goal shot hit the outside of the far post before going out.

Callum Rae picked up a booking for a foul as the half drew to a close, but the free kick was too weak to trouble McLeod from 25 yards out.

Half-time: Violet 1, Roselea 0.

Violet were first to show in the second half. Five minutes in, the ball was not properly cleared inside the Roselea box and McConnechy tried an overhead kick which was finally disposed of.

The visitors showed some promise of getting back into the game on 53 minutes when Taylor won a header which landed for Mustard 30 yards out. He could not get the ball to sit down and his volley was easily dealt with by the Violet ‘keeper.

A minute later Violet doubled their lead. A long clearance from the ‘keeper found McConnechy on the left and with no one picking up ANDERSON, who had the freedom of the Roselea half, he took the ball and slotted home from 12 yards.

Roselea had their best chance of the match in 66 minutes when Paul Taylor did well to turn his two markers in the box. However, his low near-post shot was saved by the ‘keeper’s legs.

The visitors kept looking for a lifeline to get back into the match and Collier laid the ball back to Mustard whose shot was blocked behind for a corner.

Roselea made two substitutions to try and rustle up a way back into the match, as Rodger and Aitken replaced Paul Taylor and Kennedy.

In 80 minutes the Pansies finally put the game beyond Roselea’s reach with a third goal. Anderson again found himself in bags of room and tried to lob McLeod. However, his woeful attempt fell to BALLANTYNE who finished despite McLeod blocking his first effort.

Hood replaced Ryan Taylor in an effort to get something out of the game but despite some promise Roselea could not claw anything back and referee Kenny Beats closed a disappointing afternoon for the visitors.

Roselea: McLeod, Colquhoun, Whyte, Reoch, Ryan Taylor, Kennedy, Rae, Mustard, Greig (T), Collier, Paul Taylor. Substitutes: Hood, Aitken, Strachan, Rodger, Brand and Craig.

The Montrose side put on a disappointing display against one of the favourites for the league. After losing a such a poor goal at the start of the game the team played well in the first half. However two more preventable goals killed the game.

Roselea get a chance to regroup and get things together with a free week on Saturday followed by a cup game at Lochee Harp on September 17. League action resumes when Brechin Vics come to Broomfield Park on September 24.

l Roselea held a very successful third Ladies’ Dinner on Saturday night with guest speakers Jane McCarry (Isa) and Bill Copeland putting on a great show. The club extends its thanks to all who attended and organised tables. Planning is now under way for the 2012 event and details will follow soon.