Point apiece in Roselea’s last home game of season

ROSELEA played their last home game of the 2010/11 season with visitors Lochee Harp checking in at Broomfield Park.

Roselea were six points behind leaders Downfield and although they had a game in hand the chances of an upset were very slim.

Roselea took to the field with an average age of 22, with several experienced players on the bench and a number of others on the sidelines through injury and unavailability.

The heavy overnight rain was a blessing for the dry and bumpy pitch, and the welcome sun helped to warm the healthy crowd at the start of the match.

Roselea began well but it was Harp with the first taste of action in eight minutes. Roselea conceded a free kick right on the corner of the box, however Millar’s free kick went over all the advancing players and out near the corner flag.

Lochee Harp took the lead in 10 minutes when Millar broke on the left and after his first cross was blocked by Mustard his second was crossed to the head of striker BOYLE who headed home from six yards.

Roselea then had a good spell of pressure which saw a Riach shot blocked for a corner. Tall defender Fotheringham cleared Strachan’s corner to Kennedy who flicked on to Hood and as he was about to pull the trigger Harp put in a great tackle and cleared.

In 18 minutes Roselea were keeping the pressure up and a short corner from Strachan allowed Kennedy to eye a shot at the near post. His effort deceived McPherson before hitting the side netting.

Kennedy came close again two minutes later in a similar move. This time he elected for the far post lob, however McPherson was equal to the challenge and saved well.

Roselea were pressing well and when Aitken broke in 24 minutes his pass inside to Hood was just intercepted by Fotheringham. Almost immediately Aitken took a thrown-in on the move and shot just off target.

Lively Roselea were on the attack a minute later and Hood latched onto a long ball but his attempted cut-back was blocked by ‘keeper McPherson.

Roselea eventually get back on level term on the half-hour mark when their pressure paid off. The ball broke back from a Strachan corner to Ross COLQUHOUN and he made no mistake from 12 yards with his first goal for the club.

Roselea were still on top after this and Hood was adjudged offside when Strachan played him.

Play was held up for several minutes as the referee tried to entice the Lochee manager into the dugout instead of his preferred perch behind the barrier.

This was followed by an even stranger argument between the manager and his club linesman.

As the half grew to a close Roselea had the ball in the net but Riach was adjudged to have fouled a Harp defender when there seemed to be little contact.

Half-time: Roselea 1, Lochee Harp 1.

Roselea opened the second half looking to build on the equaliser they deserved for their first-half display. In 49 minutes Fotheringham broke away and his cross was flicked goalwards by Hood but the ‘keeper held well.

Three minutes later Strachan went on a strong run down the left and his dangerous cross was not met by the advancing Roselea strikers and Harp again cleared the danger.

In 55 minutes the ball broke to the ever dangerous Aitken and he steadied himself before striking a clever shot which went just wide of the upright.

It was not all one-way traffic and Millar had a great first time volley for Harp which went just wide in 62 minutes.

Roselea took a deserved lead in 63 minutes. Strachan sent in a great fired cross which Aitken poked on and when McPherson punched the ball out it struck the body of the unfortunate PETERS and landed in the net for an own goal.

Hood was next to have a go for Roselea after he evaded two tackles and his well-struck left-foot shot was deflected behind for a corner. Hood had a good run to cross for the home team but no-one could get their head to his strong cross.

Big striker Boyle was dangerous for Harp and on the hour mark he collected a throw-in before unleashing a strong shot which McLeod did well do hold at the first attempt.

In 73 minutes the lively Fotheringham broke away for Roselea and challenged the advancing Harp ‘keeper. Despite the massive height difference he won the header; however his jabbed shot was just wide.

Roselea had a let-off in 77 minutes when they allowed Peters far too much room to receive a throw-in and his cross was met by Boyle but was deflected over for a corner. Williamson, who came on as a substitute for Harp, had a good effort from 25 yards and McLeod held well.

Roselea had their best move of the half involving several players in 83 minute and ended with Riach’s shot being saved by McPherson. In 87 minutes Aitken had a shot saved by the feet of McPherson again after some good link up play.

In stoppage time Harp got a lifeline and a penalty which was harsh on Roselea. David Craig went in for a tackle on Kelly which he had to be sure he was winning and despite getting some of the ball a penalty was awarded. PETERS, who had early conceded the own goal, stepped up and lashed a great penalty which gave Mcleod no chance.

Not for the first time this season Roselea dominated the game and created by far the best chances but could not deliver the killer touch to seal the three points. With a young side and the league title gone, it was a gutsy performance and one to build on. There were some outstanding performances, namely from Joe Aitken, Joe Reach and Sean Mustard, however the man of the match award went to Lee Hood who received his award from the ‘Ladies’.

Roselea: McLeod, Colquhoun, Reid, Fotheringham, Reoch, Mustard, Riach, Kennedy, Aitken, Hood, Strachan. Substitutes - David Craig, Miller, Brand, Doug Craig and Urquhart.

Roselea will now wait for their last game of the season against ASC away on May 21 with a 2.30pm kick-off That will be followed by their end of season presentation night in the Golf Inn at 7pm.

Roselea will hold their annual general meeting on June 1 at 7pm in the Golf Inn Lounge. Roselea are currently looking for new committee members and all are welcome to and attend and find out more.