Pressure pays for Roselea

Roselea were at home to Dundonald Bluebell and looking to get back in the winner’s frame after a poor run of results, following the nine-game winning run.

After a cup knockout, they have picked up two points from their last four league matches. The nine-game run started at Dundonald in October when, after trailing by two goals, they came back to win 3-2. A lot of that was down to a tremendous goalkeeping display by Ross Mcleod, which kept them in the game until half-time.

Roselea were missing five players, with Calum Rae and Michael Cruickshank suspended, Aaron Thomson and James Collier on holiday and Scott McDowell injured. On the plus side, Liam Campbell was signed from St Andrews United in time to play and Liam Bailey was recalled from Johnshaven as a trialist. Dundonald also had suspension problems, with their first choice ‘keeper out for a straight red card last week, so James Lennox took over in goal.

The weather forecasters got it spot on, as a gale force wind blew at kick-off time and caused havoc for both teams.Conditions were always going to be testing and early-on, the ball was swirling when in the air. It was Roselea who started brightly against the wind and got success up the left-hand side, with Anderson and Watson both having crosses cut out by ‘keeper Lennox in the first few minutes.

There was a half-chance for Dundonald in six minutes, when the ball bobbled about in the box and fell to Elder who hit his shot straight at Mcleod.

In nine minutes, Watson showed great strength before swivelling to the bye-line but his cut-back was intercepted by Forbes and sent behind for a corner.

It was to be the visitors who drew first blood in 15 minutes. A long free-kick from Grieve hung in the wind and when Reoch’s attempted headed clearance fell to ELDER his sclaffed effort found the corner of the net.

It did not take the home side long to level in 17 minutes, which they deserved to after a bright start. Debutante Campbell shut down the ‘keeper when a ball went into the box and was brought down as he squared, but the referee correctly waved an advantage and Ross MITCHELL scored from close in. Interestingly, the referee did not punish ‘keeper Lennox for the clear foul on Campbell and if a penalty had been awarded a different scenario would have resulted for the stopper.

In 25 minutes, Hendry drove down the left for Bluebell and his rasping effort was punched over by Mcleod and with the wind carrying the ball probably ended up in Kinnaber.

On the half hour there was another penalty claim for Roselea, this time Watson poked the ball through the legs of the lunging challenge from Forbes but the referee saw it differently. ‘Keeper Lennox then caused mayhem at the other end when his long kick almost caught Mcleod out, with the ball bouncing awkwardly but the ‘keeper redeemed himself and pushed the ball behind for a corner.

In 37 minutes, Orrock of Dundonald was booked for a dive in the box but it was a convincing attempt as a few home hearts were in their mouths.

Roselea would have been happy to see the half out all square, but that went out the window in 40 minutes. A long ball down Roselea’s left-hand side gave Mcleod the option to come out and, with him caught in no man’s land, he made YOUNG’s mind up for him and he clipped the ball into the net.


Montrose Roselea 1,

Dundonald Bluebell 2.

With the wind at their backs, Craig Anderson had an audacious, but very worthwhile, attempt from the halfway-line with Lennox off his line and the ball just slipped wide of the post.

In 49 minutes Tringham was dispossessed in midfield and when the ball broke to Elder, Mcleod had to punch the ball behind for a corner.

Roselea made a change in 57 minutes with Liam Bailey on for Ross Mitchell in an attempt to spark a revival.

The home side were out of luck in 63 minutes when Campbell played a short corner to Findlater, who struck a sweet left-foot curler from 25 yards and when the ball crashed down off the bar, Reid was only foiled by a great stop from Lennox, who turned behind for a corner.

Roselea made a second change with Morgan Smith replacing Andy Tringham in 73 minutes. The home side and Kyle Findlater were out of luck, thanks to a terrific save from his header from Lennox, just inside the post in 75 minutes.

Roselea made their final change when Findlater was replaced with Stephen Greig in 80 minutes.

Dundonald barely attacked in the second half, however, and with Roselea pressing, a breakaway was sure to happen. Only a brilliant tackle from Ryan Taylor, on 83 minutes, prevented Wallace from escaping to the Roselea goal.

Roselea piled on the pressure, with a series of long throws from Anderson creating panic in the Dundonald area and their perseverance paid off for the second time in three weeks at home, when they grabbed a deserved equaliser. Joe Reoch headed the ball on and Stuart PATERSON forced it over the line in 93 minutes, for a dramatic end to a great game played in very tough conditions.

Roselea: Mcleod, Findlater, R Taylor, Reoch, Whyte, Mitchell, Tringham, Anderson, Campbell, Reid and Watson. Subs: Greig, Bailey (T), Smith and Brand.

This was a very tough game, played in horrendous conditions, with the score-line about right over the piece.

Roselea conceded two very preventable goals but then created better chances than the visitors did with the wind at their backs. It took a scrambled goal in stoppage time to rescue a point.

The draw sees Roselea drop to fourth in the league, with Tayport leapfrogging them, however it is another point towards safety in the Premier League.

Roselea travel to Recreation Park, to face league leaders St Andrews United, on Saturday, April 4. Kick-off is 2.30 p.m.