Queen’s Park quash Montrose fight-back

Vic Gray (centre) from Exquip International, who sponsor this season's player travel suits, is pictured with players Paul Watson, Terry Masson, Adam Harwood, director John Crawford and Brian Deasley.
Vic Gray (centre) from Exquip International, who sponsor this season's player travel suits, is pictured with players Paul Watson, Terry Masson, Adam Harwood, director John Crawford and Brian Deasley.

Montrose Football Club failed to build on their victory over Annan Athletic, when they suffered a heavy defeat at Hampden Park on Saturday.

The Gable Endies lost the match in the first half, when they went two-nil down and failed to create anything in attack.

They were certainly the better side in the second half, and pulled a goal back through new signing Ross Campbell, but two late goals from Queen’s Park’s new loan-signing, Jordan Moore, made sure all three points stayed at Hampden.

Montrose now face another crucial period in the next three weeks, when they face East Fife at home, followed by away matches at Elgin City and Clyde.

Only one change was made from the Montrose side that beat Annan Athletic, with the suspended Jonathan Crawford being replaced by Adam Harwood.

Queen’s Park were on the attack from the start and forced a couple of early corners, taken by Darren Miller. However, on each occasion the Montrose defence was able to clear the danger.

In seven minutes, the home striker found himself through on goal but offside was quite rightly given by the stand-side assistant.

Two minutes later, Garry Wood won a free-kick for Montrose after he was fouled. O’Neil floated the set play into the box but Tony Quinn headed clear.

Montrose had a let-off in 13 minutes. A cross from Mitchell was headed behind for a corner by Harwood. Miller’s corner-kick was headed back across goal by Woods but thankfully for Montrose, Ewan Moyes managed to get in the way and block the shot from Fotheringham.

Four minutes later, Queen’s Park forced another corner-kick, after a Woods shot from the edge of the box was deflected wide. Miller again floated in a dangerous ball but Moyes headed clear.

It was no surprise when Queen’s Park opened the scoring in 24 minutes, as they had rarely been out of the Montrose half. Harwood slipped and this allowed a through-ball to find its way to Moore and he slipped it across the box, where DARREN MILLER was on hand to fire low into the bottom corner.

Montrose created a half-chance two minutes later. A Graham cross fell into the path of Jordan Allan and he fired an effort high over the crossbar.

Miller was then fouled by Greg Cameron some 30 yards out. The midfielder took the kick himself but could only fire the ball well over.

Montrose then had a free-kick of their own, when Cameron was fouled. Cameron’s free-kick found Moyes, who headed the ball on but found no takers in the six-yard area.

Queen’s Park almost made it two in 32 minutes, when left-back Sean Burns was allowed to stride forward before seeing his effort brilliantly tipped over the crossbar by McKenzie, at full stretch.

Marvin Andrews almost gave away a penalty when he tackled Fotheringham inside the area but the winger stayed on his feet to win a corner-kick. Miller’s corner found Burns but the left-back volleyed wide of goal.

It was no real surprise when Queen’s Park scored again in 34 minutes. With Ewan Moyes off the field, receiving treatment for a cut, the home side were able to exploit the gaps.

Moore again did the spadework, rolling the ball across the face of the box for the totally unmarked PAUL WOODS to fire low into the bottom corner.

Frustrations were being to show for Montrose and Greg Cameron became the first booking of the afternoon for a bad tackle on Miller.

The home side almost made it three with two minutes of the half remaining, when a shot from Shaun Fraser took a deflection and McKenzie in the Montrose goal was left stranded as the ball smacked off the bar.

Garry Wood became the second Montrose player to be booked, when he left a foot in on Miller at the end of a poor first half by the Gable Endies.

Half-time: Queen’s Park 2, Montrose 0.

Montrose made a change at the start of the second half, with Ross McCord coming on to replace the injured Greg Cameron.

Montrose created an early chance, when Johnston was fouled by Burns. Jordan Allan’s kick went into the box, only for Andrews knock-down not to find any team-mates in yellow.

Queen’s Park carved open the Montrose defence, when Woods worked a one-two with Moore, only for McKenzie to dive in and save the ball at his feet.

Montrose then had a chance of their own, when Stephen O’Neil intercepted a pass and gave himself a clear run at goal but with team-mates either side in good positions he chose to shoot and the chance went a-begging.

On the hour mark, Montrose had another half-chance when Garry Wood shrugged off David McGregor but he could only lob wide of goal.

Queen’s Park then made a switch, when Ryan Hynes came on for Kevin Fotheringham.

Jordan Allan managed to get over a good cross from the left, which was controlled by Wood and played into the path of Johnston, but he couldn’t create a shooting opportunity and the chance was gone.

With 62 minutes gone, Montrose made a second substitution with new signing Ross Campbell coming on for his debut, in place of O’Neil. Campbell went straight into attack, with Johnston moving out to the right-hand side of the park.

Johnston was into the referee’s book six minutes later, after he lashed out in a tackle against Miller after a previous foul had gone against the Montrose man.

Scott Johnston was again in the thick of things in the next minute, when he won Montrose a free-kick after he was fouled by Burns. McCord launched the free kick to the back post where Andrews could only head wide.

The Gable Endies should have pulled a goal back in 71 minutes. A Campbell flick sent Garry Wood free inside the box, he skipped past one challenge and with only Muir to beat, the Queen’s Park keeper pulled off a wonderful stop to deny him a goal, from ten yards out.

George Shields made his final change when Paul Harkins came on to replace David Banjo, who had had a quiet afternoon.

Montrose were continuing to have the better of the second half and McCord was brought down by Woods some 25 yards from goal. Harkins took the kick but he could only fire straight at Muir.

Queen’s Park made a second substitution when Conor McVey replaced Paul Woods.

Montrose finally pulled a goal back in 76 minutes in bizarre circumstances. David McGregor’s clearance from 30 yards out was charged down by ROSS CAMPBELL and the ball sailed perfectly over ‘keeper Willie Muir and into the back of the net.

Montrose had their tails up and almost grabbed an equaliser five minutes later. Scott Johnston cut the ball back for Garry Wood and his near post shot was kept out by Muir at the expense of a corner-kick.

Disaster struck Montrose when the home side were awarded a penalty-kick in 82 minutes. Moore appeared to be going nowhere but the bye-line but was brought down by Andrews.

There was little complaint from the visitors and JORDAN MOORE netted from the spot, although McKenzie almost got his hand to the ball.

Queen’s then brought on John Carter for Fraser in a final change.

The home side rubbed salt in the wounds, with three minutes remaining, when MOORE scored his second of the afternoon and Queen’s Park’s fourth when he latched onto a through-ball to calmly knock the ball past McKenzie and finally end the Montrose fight-back.

Full-time: Queen’s Park 4, Montrose 1.

MONTROSE: McKenzie, Harwood, Graham, Moyes, Andrews, Banjo (Harkins), O’Neil (R. Campbell), Cameron (McCord), Wood, S. Johnston, Allan Subs not used – Deasley, McCafferty