REPORT: Gable Endies fight back to secure unlikely point

editorial image

Montrose staged another late fightback to claim a valuable away point thanks to two late penalty goals at Galabank on Saturday.

It was a much needed point after the midweek disaster at Stirling Albion.

Annan were under the cosh in the first 10 minutes and Ross Campbell almost put Montrose in with a great ball into the six yard box only to see it scrambled away.

A long clearance put Annan away at the other end but smart work by Jamie Clarke broke it up neatly.

Smart Osadolor then showed his pace by breaking quickly to create a chance out of nothing but blazed over the top with no support forthcoming.

Montrose took a deserved lead in the 33rd minute having had most possession.

A flick-on by Chris Templeman sent Gary Fraser scampering down the left.

He took his man this way and that before unleashing a shot which keeper Currie could only push into the air for Adrian Mallagaray to tap in from a yard out.

Annan rallied though and drew level through Ryan McStay’s low effort, making it 1-1 at the break.

The Galabankies took the lead just before the hour mark when Matty Flynn was tripped by Neil Martyniuk, with Bryan Gilfillan converting the penalty.

Disaster sturkc for Montrose as Annan scored after a sweeping move down the left by Osadolor who escaped his marker; he swept an inch perfect pass across the six yard box and Flynn hit it home from close range.

A long ball from Steeves put Campbell away down left centre but without support coming quickly enough he blasted a shot just over the angle.

It was to be a sign of things to come because suddenly Montrose woke up.

Webster put a good ball in from the right but Annan keeper Currie did well to cut out the danger.

Next up was Ross Campbell who is at his best in a backs to the wall situation like this.

He powered on in determined fashion chasing a ball into the centre of the Annan penalty area and was crudely upended by Jago.

Up he stepped to take the resultant penalty and made no mistake to bring the score back to 3-2 with eight minutes to go.

Annan pushed forward again to kill the game off but Montrose defended doggedly.

Campbell was upsetting the Annan defence and as he broke clear down their throats again he was brought down from behind.

Ben Jago of Annan saw a red card for his efforts as the referee awarded yet another penalty kick.

It was the 92nd minute and this second penalty for Montrose was to be taken by the wily Gary Fraser, who smashed it home for 3-3.