REPORT: Gable Endies hold Queen’s Park thanks to Gary Fraser screamer

editorial image

Montrose made it three games unbeaten out of four against Queen’s Park this season as a free kick goal from top goalscorer Gary Fraser gave them a valuable point.

It was the visitors who had the first chance of the match when Vincent Berry got the ball at the edge of the box and curled an effort wide of Millar’s far post.

And it was Gus MacPherson’s side who opened the scoring in the 15th minute; Paul Woods received the ball on the touchline and played the ball into Duggan who back-heeled the ball back to his strike partner, and Woods’ shot took a deflection and looped over Millar and into the net.

A great through ball from Masson put Fraser racing into the box, he turned his opponent and the ball seemed to go out for a corner kick, unfortunately for Montrose referee Millar signalled a goal kick.

Montrose came out for the second half with all guns blazing at the start of the second half and equalised in the 47th minute. Mallagaray went on a run and he was tripped some 25 yards from goal.

It was Gary Fraser who stepped up to curl home a beauty of a free kick into the postage stamp top corner for his 17th goal of the season with Muir well beaten.

It was now all Montrose and two minutes later a throw in from Comrie was headed on by Templeman to Campbell and he turned inside the box only to see his effort blocked.

It was all Queen’s Park as Montrose tried to get a foothold in the match and they came close to going ahead in the 65th minute.

The ball was flashed across the Montrose penalty area from the right and Galt this time crashed a shot off the underside of the bar.

With 13 minutes left Aaron Comrie gave the ball away and Burns was able to race clear but again he hosted his shot over the Montrose crossbar.

It was still Queen’s Park who were creating the chances and they forced a couple of free kicks which Montrose defending well.

In the 80th minute Ryan McGeevar headed the ball down only for substitute John Carter to again blast over the Montrose bar from close range.

With three minutes of the match remaining a great ball from Masson put Gary Fraser clear at an angle but the hitman could only fire the ball into the arms of Willie Muir.

In stoppage time Queen’s Park came so close again as Duggan smashed a shot off the underside of the bar before Montrose cleared the danger.