REPORT: Gable Endies stick spanner in works of Elgin City’s push

Photo - Phoenix Photo Shop.
Photo - Phoenix Photo Shop.

Montrose recorded their second 1-1 draw in a row as they picked up another well earned point at Borough Briggs on Saturday against Jim Weir’s Elgin City side.

In the team’s second meeting in a month it wasn’t difficult to see why Elgin have only had one home defeat this season with their power and pace to hit on the break.

It was the Gable Endies who created the first opening of the match in the third minute as a long throw in from McWalter found its way to Comrie at the edge of the area but he could only hook his shot wide.

Five minutes later Dylan Easton found space on the edge of the Montrose box but he could only curl his effort wide of goal.

Montrose had a great opportunity to open the scoring in the 12th minute when Templeman was pushed by Reilly on the edge of the box.

It was in a similar position to Fraser’s goal the previous week but Campbell decided on a low effort which was deflected wide for a Montrose corner.

A Masson through ball put top goalscorer Fraser through on goal but with only keeper Hurst to beat he managed to lob him and the crossbar.

A kick up field from Jordan Millar found Fraser who played in his strike partner Templeman, his first shot from the edge of the box was brilliantly saved by Hurst and the on-loan St Johnstone keeper somehow managed to get down to beat away the goalbound follow-up from the same player.

Montrose were made to pay for this as Elgin City hit them on the counter attack to open the scoring seconds later.

The move started down the right and when the cut back came in from Connor McLaren, Montrose couldn’t clear and Gunn was on hand to sweep home his 22nd goal of the season.

It could have been worse for Montrose as Elgin City should have scored again two minutes later.

A cross from the right by Gunn wasn’t cut out by the defence and Brian Cameron saw his shot crash off the underside of the bar before being cleared.

Montrose thought they had grabbed an equaliser the following minute when Fraser latched onto a Jamie Clarke free kick from the half way line and from the tightest of angles inside the box he managed to find the top corner.

Soon after the restart, Masson was fouled by Cameron and when Steeves’ free kick was cleared Fraser did brilliantly to turn and hook in an improvised effort which smacked off the post and ran along the goalmouth before being cleared by the home defence.

After an hour or so Fraser started a move by playing a pass back to Webster, he strode across field before finding Masson on the edge of the box and he slipped a delightful pass to the oncoming Campbell who took the ball in his stride and lifted a beauty into the roof of the net past Hurst.

In the 85th minute Clarke played a free kick into the box but Templeman just couldn’t connect with the ball across the face of the goal.