REPORT: Montrose fight back from two goals down against East Fife

Photo by Phoenix Photo Shop
Photo by Phoenix Photo Shop


Two goals down against the league’s form side with 20 minutes to go, the outlook for Montrose appeared bleaker than a turkey’s at Christmas.

The side didn’t deserve to be going down in the way they seemed to be, largely matching Gary Naysmith’s men from Methil across the park.

But with the game slipping away from them, Montrose again demonstrated their ruthless side on their home ground.

To use another footballing cliché, Links Park is quickly becoming a fortress, Montrose winning seven, drawing two and losing just four of the games played there this campaign.

And they were in no mood to do that record any damage at the weekend.

The game started at a frantic pace so it was little surprise there was an early goal.

Pat Slattery battered his way through the Montrose defence and picked out Kyle Wilkie on the edge of the box.

Wilkie appeared to be looking for a pass but with nothing on took the initiative himself and fired low past Alex Tokarczyk.

The Fifers had started on fire but failed to then put Montrose to the sword.

To their credit, Mo came back into the match and had a couple of chances to pull level within.

Graham Webster twisted and turned clear of the East Fife before firing a shot goalward which Jonathan Page deflected past the post.

With their tails up the resultant corner was headed towards goal by Chris Templeman only for his effort to be cleared off the line.

Things were a bit nervy for the visitors but those nerves should have been settled when they added a second.

Andrew Steeves brought down Nathan Austin on the edge of the box and from the free-kick Gary Naysmith’s set piece was headed home by Jason Kerr.

Montrose had arguably been the better side from the moment East Fife scored their first goal until they netted number two.

They deserved something for their efforts and were more than entitled to make it a nervy ending for the visitors.

Their goal duly came when Scott Mercer and Kerr should have done better with an attempted clearance.

Gary Fraser took advantage before racing into the box and firing high past Liam Kelly.

A point for the home side wasn’t any injustice and Terry Masson ensured a share of the spoils with an absolute screamer which came down off the underside of the bar.

It was an opportunity passed up for the Fifers, who could have top spot has they held on, but a point which nudged Mo further away from the bottom two.