REPORT: Montrose hand victory to Cowdenbeath

editorial image

Paul Hegarty was rightly seething after Montrose were easily beaten 2-1 by Cowdenbeath on Saturday.

The Gable Endies took a fortuitous lead from Gary Fraser’s penalty before terrible decision making handed the Blue Brazil two goals.

A cross wasn’t defended at all for the equaliser before Michael Bolochoweckyj handed the Fife team a simple winner.

The result means Montrose have just two points from their opening five games and the side are quickly looking to be cut adrift from the rest of the teams in League Two, besides this weekend’s opponents Edinburgh City.

The game was stop-start in the opening stages as a series of fouls put paid to any hope of either side building momentum.

Allan Fleming made the first save of the afternoon on 12 minutes, saving easily after Dean Brett lazily swung a boot at the ball from 18 yards.

Scott Hynd’s pace was a real worry for the visitors and he was scythed down by Fraser Mullen inside the quarter hour, the Cowdenbeath defending collecting a deserved yellow card for his sins.

Mo should have gone ahead from the resultant free kick, Iain Campbell’s lofted ball into the box falling to Michael Bolochoweckyj but the defender struck an effort right at David McGurn.

Terry Masson had McGurn at full stretch on 20 minutes to deny his dipping long range strike as the goalie tipped it over for a corner.

Gary Fraser was upended in the box on the stroke of half-time, with the striker sending the penalty into the bottom corner for 1-0.

Gary Glen equalised right away though with a terrific header from Brett’s cross.

The visitors went ahead on 54 minutes, Kris Renton with a simple tap-in after Fleming saved Glen’s fierce shot.

The game suffered badly from a real lack of quality from either side and there was very little in the way of clear-cut chances for most of the second half.

Masson hit the bar in injury time, Templeman heading the rebound low but McGurn saved on the line.