REPORT: Montrose see off league leaders Elgin City

Photo by Phoenix Photo Shop
Photo by Phoenix Photo Shop

Montrose took their recent good run to only one defeat in seven as they comprehensively defeated league leaders Elgin City at Links Park with one of the side’s best displays of the season.

Paul Hegarty’s side dominated from start to finish and never gave Elgin City the chance to settle, and they thoroughly deserved their second win of the season at Links Park over Jim Weir’s powerful side.

Once Montrose opened the scoring through Chris Templeman’s first goal for the side there was going to be only one winner, further goals coming through a stunning strike from top goalscorer Gary Fraser and another from Adrian Mallagaray.

Montrose now go into a double header away from home against the league’s bottom two sides Berwick Rangers and East Stirlingshire in which they will be looking to pick up more valuable points.

The Gable Endies listed former Arbroath midfielder Kieran McWalter on the bench as a trialist after his release by his home town club.

In the 12th minute Montrose almost opened the scoring from a quickly taken corner kick: Mallagaray played the ball short to Fraser before taking the return pass and curling in an effort from the right which almost caught out keeper Mark Hurst who back peddled to tip the ball over the crossbar.

The visitors managed to carve out their first opening in the 19th minutes after Masson fouled Easton 20 yards out.

Easton took the free kick only for Jordan Millar to get down well to save.

Montrose went close to opening the scoring in the 32 minute when Masson won the ball in a tackle with Templeman and took the return pass from the striker only to drag his low effort wide of goal when he could have taken the ball further towards goal.

With five minutes of the half remaining Montrose craved out an opening with Steeves, Mallagaray and Fraser linking up only for the striker to be taken out of the game by Duff.

With three minutes of the half remaining Montrose finally made the pressure pay off when they opened the scoring.

Mallagaray gave the ball to Templeman on the edge of the area and the striker went one way then another before powering home his first goal for his new side.

In the 49th minute Montrose should have added a second.

Mallagaray sent over an inch perfect cross from the right which landed on the head of Fraser but he could only send his effort inches wide of the far post when it looked easier to score.

Montrose scored a wonderful second goal in the 56th minute.

Millar’s kick out was headed on by Campbell before the ball was hooked forward by Masson, Elgin City’s Duff cleared only as far as Templeman and he slipped through a perfect pass to Fraser who sent a screamer into the top corner for his 15th goal of the season.

On the hour mark the Montrose fans where in dreamland when they added a third goal.

A long throw in on the stand side from Campbell was headed on by Templeman and Mallagaray stole in to stab the ball home.

Two minutes into stoppage time Elgin City grabbed a consolation goal with their first effort on target in the match, unfortunately it was an own goal from Montrose’s Martyniuk who managed to bullet home a cross from Nicholson leaving Millar totally helpless.