Report: Season ends in loss for Montrose Roselea as club legend Paul Whyte calls time on his tenure

editorial image

Broomfield Park hosted an emotional rollercoaster yesterday in what was a special day for the club despite the 4-2 loss to Lochee United

It marked the end of Paul Whyte’s Roselea playing days as he closed the curtains on an unbelievable 19 seasons at the club.

It was also with great sadness to the club that his father Bryce stepped down as president of the club after the same length of stint at the Roselea.

In what was an outstanding piece of camaraderie, Whyte was given a guard of honour by both sets of players as he took to the pitch, whilst his family gleamed with pride on the sidelines.

So the match got underway and Roselea were full of confidence after winning their last four games beforehand to have already pretty much avoided the relegation slots.

In what was a pretty dull opening up the match it was only a tame header by Lochee’s Kirk that remotely threatened breaking the deadlock at either end, but McLeod made a routine save.

In the 22nd minute the home team took the lead. Taylor had a good strike from just inside the box which away keeper Fotheringham could only push out to the feet of C. WATSON who finished into the empty net.

The goalscorer had a golden opportunity to double the lead a few moments later when he found himself in on goal but chipped the ball over the bar.

Lochee came looking for an equaliser and a through ball from Beedie found Blackwood in space but Taylor got over well to block his shot.

With the match reporter still tucking into the hospitality at half time the build up to Lochee’s equaliser on 47 minutes was missed although it’s believed BLACKWOOD was on hand to tap in from close range to level things up.

The moment of the match came after 67 minutes. A corner for Roselea was headed down by WHYTE towards Rae who held the ball up well before the departing centre half followed up his header by drilling the ball into the corner of the net.

Roselea again spurned a great opportunity to extend their lead when C.Watson ran in on goal and unselfishly squared to Cruickshank who saw his strike come crashing back off the crossbar.

In fairness to Lochee United they really stepped up their game in the final fifteen minutes of the match as they stole the three points.

BLACKWOOD steered home an effort from Ritchie to level things up after 75 minutes.

Substitute HAGAN finished superbly from a narrow angle to give the away team the lead with 7 minutes left and then HAGAN again finished off a nice move after a good pass from Birse.

Roselea will be disappointed to have not come away with all three points after missing a couple of great opportunities to give themselves a cushion.