Roselea 2-1 Falkirk: Improved Montrose reap the rewards

Stephen Grieg in action. Photo - Phoenix Photo Shop.
Stephen Grieg in action. Photo - Phoenix Photo Shop.

Roselea picked up a much deserved three points in a thoroughly entertaining fixture at Broomfield Park as they beat Falkirk JFC 2-1.

It took just a minute for the home team to open the scoring. Greig crossed in high from the right and as Watson put the away keeper under pressure he fumbled and Taylor was on hand to finish.

It was a dream start for Roselea and it was nearly twice as good after three minutes. Watson charged down the keeper but as he looked to get a shot away a defender recovered well to stop the attack.

Campbell’s delivery found Taylor but the winger could only direct his header off target.

It was the most dominant first period Roselea have enjoyed this season and after 23 minutes a Watson knock-on found the energetic Greig. The winger composed himself to shoot but his effort was straight at the keeper.

Campbell again delivered a great ball after half an hour this time finding Watson who headed narrowly over.

It took 32 minutes for Falkirk to register their first chance of the match. Scott had a snap shot on the edge of the box but it was easily held by McLeod.

The home team had one more chance before half time. Watson flicked on to Taylor but the ball fell on his weaker foot and his audacious flick was well wide.

Truth be told the first half couldn’t have been much easier for Roselea but things were to change massively for them in the opening stages of the second half.

In the 47th minute the troublesome Mcateer created space to shoot but his effort was well charged down by Whyte.

Falkirk enjoyed vast possession of the ball but did not create anything of real note. The home teams centre half pairing of Whyte and Sturrock, along with the protection the hard working Collier and Anderson offered them, were frustrating the away team hugely as Roselea delivered a hugely impressive defensive shape under pressure.

Roselea doubled their lead after 82 minutes. A long ball from the back bounced over the keepers head and Watson looked set to score. He passed the ball towards the empty net but an away defender got back brilliantly to divert the goal bound ball out for a corner. Tringham took the corner and found the head of Whyte who’s effort was stopped on the line but WATSON showed the most desire for the ball and poked it home to make it 2-0.

The cushion was not to be held for very long though. Falkirk played a direct long ball to Mcateer who showed great strength to win the ball and create space before blasting into the net.